1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can i purchase a skid big enough to push snow with for under 6 grand?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by trqjnky, Aug 22, 2011.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i dont know the going rate for skids, but im interested in getting one to use for apt complex and snow stacking. can i get one that will get the job done for under 6 grand and decent shape?
  2. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

won't buy you much....
  3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

For 6 grand, probably not. I would think 10 000 is a more realistic amount
  4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

What everone else said. From my experience with skids the mid frame (700 series Bobcat), don't do all that well, but I never put snows on. The large frame (873) did much better with stock tires, then I put snows on it, if an operator has half a brain, its an awesome combo, trying it with a 10' pusher this year, prevously used 8' snow blade.
  6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I've got close to 6K in each of my pushers let alone the skiddy's.... you get what you pay for...... spend some reasonable cash now (good, low hour used ones 12-18K) , price your lots accordingly, and everything will fall into place.....
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Add a "1" in front of the 6 then maybe. Even then you'll be investing some more $$ to make it right. We've got that much invested (16k) in our New Holland LX665 Turbo excluding the plow. If its feasible, put that 6k down on a machine that will do you well not leave you stranded. Ours might be going up for sale if your interested. Nothing wrong with it, we just need a bigger unit.We were looking for something around a CAT 252 or bigger.
  8. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

Yea, I understand money means quality. Im needing something mostly to load a box with sand. And use it with a truck blade for tight areas and parking stalls. Also to move piles. Im not using it to do a mall parking lot, I just need something to get me started in the bigger and better direction from just trucks. I have a friend with a 28k skidloader that he uses for landscaping, its a monster. But not in my budget. The skid would sit idle most of the rest of the year.
  9. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

keep on checking sites like machinery trader, ebay,maybe some auctions, craigslist, ect if you look long enough you'll find something in your budget...might be rough or need a little work but it's a start.
    Good Luck
  10. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Might be better off renting ne for the winter usually around 4k for the winter or seeing if any friends want to rent you theirs
    I think your budget is a little low
  11. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

My first skid was a Bobcat 753 I bought new the payment when multiplied by 12 months was less than rental for the winter. I traded it in two years later on two larger three year old machines & only lost $ 500(for 2 years use) if I recall. It never hurts to look at the new or slightly used units, with the finance rates out there you may end up with the "right" machine at an affordable payment as opposed to settling for what you think you can afford, making it work & it may cost more in the long run.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011