1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I plow with this vehicle?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GMC MAN 122389, Jan 18, 2009.

1. GMC MAN 122389

GMC MAN 122389 Junior Member

Hey there, my names matt. I run a lawn care business called Hometown Lawn Services. I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 and its 2 wheel drive. It pulls my trailer just fine with one zero turn on the back. My girl friends parents own a office building and also have a 1/4 long drive way. They have been getting both plowed out weekly sometimes up to three times a week this winter. I feel if i plowed I could have made some good money just off them. Is my truck capable of plowing snow? I know its not going to push 8 inches but can anyone give me ideas if this would work on my truck? Thanks alot!

Hometown Lawn Serivces
  2. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

Only 2 wheel drives I see are 1 tons and used for parking lots in the city. I personally would not put a plow on a 2 wheel drive even a 1 ton. But that's me. I do plow a few of my small flat drives in 2 wheel drive but would never depend on a 2 wheel drive even if I only had those few.
  3. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

Maybe I can help. I went to the dealership today looking into getting a new truck (2009 1500 ext cab.4x4 )and one of the main questions I ask was, wether or not the 1500's came with a plow prep package. The answer? Nope. The sales man said GM does not offer a plow prep package on the 1500's do to safety concerns and gross vehcile weight. He said, the warranty gets voided. All it would take is for a GM inspector to look at the truck, see the mounts and your alot of luck.
  4. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

I would not unless you had a 4x4, if there is any large snowfall and any hill with a steep incline the truck would be useless. I read here people use 1 ton 2 wd but they weight them down. I have plowed large commercial lots in 2 wd in powder snow, once it gets icy I had to put the truck in 4 wd to plow. But in the wet sticky stuff it can turn into a headache the snow would roll up and your 2 wd would just spin.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can on a regular cab. The extended and crews are where the PP issue lies.
  6. topdj

topdj Senior Member

its really the gross weight that the issue on the crews and ext cabs, My dealer said don't worrry about it since your doing your own drive. but he did say if you do commercial work and start breaking drive train parts it doesn't take GM too long say somethings up. I have a class 3 hitch that goes on in place of my
    Hiniker forks, so if I have a drive train issue and I know its not from abuse I will take it in with class 3 hitch instead of the forks.
    I tow a boat in the summer the front class 3 makes it nice to put the boat in the garage.
    cool thing is these new trucks have a transmission temp gauge so you can see if your overdoing it.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  7. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

Sure you can! No plow, spend a descent amount into a snow thrower, ramps and a good broad cast spreader for salt.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Ask them to look at the amount they have spent already. Make them realize winter is not even half over yet. Then point out how that total could triple in size still this season. Then scoop in and have em spend that money on a decent used plow truck with plow already attached.

Maybe even offer to go in half with them with the promise of free plowing until their half is paid off.

Worth a shot heck I know if I owned a store I would have my own plow truck cuz them SOB'in plow guys will rip ya.
  9. GMC MAN 122389

haha that last comment made me laugh. Well they are by no means hurting for money so paying to have someone do it is something they dont mind paying for. The warranty thing makes me nervous. I need to check into it. I think maybe if i only had those two and a few more i could be out most the night keeping up on the snow and not letting it get to deep before I plow... Maybe that would work?
  10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Not sure you are going to find a stock mount to fit any 2whl drive. So just to start thinking of what plow you must 1st think what mount will most easily be able to be hacked up and fit your truck. Then after you spend money on that you need to $pend some more on some Timbrens suspension helpers and maybe new HD shocks/springs.

Then you need to spend some more cash on a bigger alternator and battery.

See it is just going to lead to spend a bunch to get a little. You are better off selling your 2whl drive and looking for a decent used 4whl drive truck w/plow already attached.
  11. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

I wouldn't waste my time putting a plow on that truck. For the money you spend on the plow, and possibly installation if you don't do it yourself. You could buy a used truck with a plow on it. If its just for their lot and drive it wouldn't have to be anything special. I also agree with the idea of them helping you out. If they have money its for a reason. They are good business minds. You showing the drive to grow your business and at the same time saving them money in the long run might be a good thing. Then next year you can upgrade to a better truck or if the one you pick up is decent put a little money into it for another season, then upgrade the year after. Another plus to this would be your 2 wheel drive wouldn't get run so much in the crap. It will last longer, another good business move, you won't have to replace it as soon.
  12. kmclawn

kmclawn Junior Member

Look at getting a used skid steer with a 8 foot bucket and go to work. Your pick-up will easy pull it and you would be able to get alot of work done.
  13. kenidaho

kenidaho Junior Member

Well I don't plow commercially I just plow my drive and 1/2 private rode. I just put an 8 ft Hinker on my K1500 1/2 ton 4wd std cab short box. and it has not snowed since it was installed but I have been widening the road and I have good tires on my truck and 300 lps of sand in the back. The road has a hill and when it was a little icy the truck would not even move in 2 wd not plowing if I had to stop. If you are going to try this you would have to run chains when ever you plowed and that is a real pain and I'm not sure that would solve the problems.
  14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

First off, most mounts are available in 2wd, his truck would be the same as a 4wd mount anyhow.

I do agree with buying a used plow truck. That being the case, I'll set you up for about what you'll spend on a new plow :)!!

I do have to strongly disagree with those that would never waste their time putting a plow on a 2wd. It's what he has, would you rather have him trade in his, spend $10k or more additionally on a truck and then get a new plow just to push 1 driveway? That's just asanine. Is his truck meant to push snow? No. Would I buy his truck with intentions of doing so? Never. But give him the benifit of the doubt. A light enough plow and a LOT of ballast in the bed it will be fine. Again, I wouldn't recommend it for a commercial fleet, but people plow driveways with 2wd golf carts, lawn tractors, etc...

Warranty, that's another story.

Not that it compares, but this truck is in my fleet. I rely in it for any amount of accumulation and it pushes an 8'6" MVP. Mind you, it's a diesel 2500HD, but still.......it's a 2wd. There's about 2,500lbs of weight in the rear and it doesn't bat an eye. It pushes 2" or 10". I just installed the lift and tires, it actually was a better plow truck stock.

15. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

i got a 1997 f250 the four wheel drive is broke...something with the front diferntial....been plowing with it busted for two seasons...sure she gets stuck once in a while but with a lil weight she does just fine.
  16. GMC MAN 122389

Thanks alot guys! I didnt expect this much response but this has helped alot. I guess what i need to figure out is my warranty and what it will cover. Also if i can find mounts for my truck. Third off.. if its gonna cost me more to put a plow on my truck or buy a whole nother truck period... Thanks again guys!
  17. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I would do a search on 2wd trucks, I think you will talk yourself out of it.
  18. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

i agree... i know it comes up all the time..

1 ton trucks with heavy bodies in the back.. .maybe, but dont expect it to push piles
    F550 2wd with long heavy body/tons of salt in the back, literally, yeah should be ok expect heavy snow areas.

half tons, eh, wont push much. I personally will outfit our old f150 2wd next winter with something 7-7'6" though just because it would be a backup for our 2" per push accounts. At most it would see 2-4" ever and have help on the route already. But i would never try to service accounts by itself. You can get stuck too easily and say what happens when you get 8" of snow? with out any heavier or 4x4 trucks your SOL.
  19. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't even try it! Especially with a 1/2 ton 4x2 if it was a heavier truck maybe... just trade that one for a 4x4 and save alot of headache
  20. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

the first problem that comes to mind is that people who hire a plow company are relying on them to get to work. Doctors, news anchors, pregnant people, and everyone else. Having a 2wd might work if you are super careful and so forth, but it's not worth risking getting stuck almost all the time and having someone stranded unable to get out when they need to. Now as a supplemental vehicle or maybe a backup, but I don't think its a good idea. I have tried plowing in 2wd with a ton of weight in the back of mine and the minute i am not on flat ground I'm stuck.