1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I plow with this thing?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by saynow, Nov 6, 2008.

1. saynow

saynow Junior Member

I recently bought a 2000 gmc 2500 4x4 crew cab short box witha 7.4l engine. I want to put a 7.5 straight blade on it but a western dealer told me no way cause of the big block. I would be over the front axle weight. The front axle weight is 4250. If I put timbrens on the front will this help? Any other suggestions you guys have would be great. I have read a lot of posts on here and there seems to be some pretty knowledgeable people out there. Thanks
  2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Yes it will be fine :nod:. I plowed with a 2000 Crew Cab 454 that had a 9' LEO on it and that thing was HEAVY, never had a problem. My brother also has a 98' big block with a 7.5' Curtis on it and it doesnt really even squat. Technically a new dodge cummins shouldnt even have a plow on it but look at what people are hanging on them. I think its that way with many of the new diesel trucks.
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I would do it! Keep us posted on the fuel useage will ya? I love a big 454!
  4. matzke3

matzke3 Member

I plowed one season with a 3500 with the 7.4 and a 9ft monroe trip edge. That plow was HEAVY and designed for a one ton hd dump type truck, The 3500 and 2500 share a torsion setup im not sure if the bars are the same. You can adjust the ride height with the t bar adjusters. (we had to on the 3500 or the mount would scrape drives). I agree with everyone elses. No problem.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I have Timbrens for you new in the box $165 plus shipping. I have them available for almost anything.
  6. saynow

saynow Junior Member

Nuts! Wish I'd known that sooner...paid $190 for the Timbrens! They were a breeze puttin' on though. Haven't had a chance to get the plow on yet. Dealer ordered the wrong truck side mount, now I'm screwed 'til after turkey day. I'm spraying Calcium Chloride from a 200 gallon sprayer, you think I'll be alright for weight on this truck? I plan on only fillin to 100 gal. for ballast weight, should I do Timbrens on back as well? Hey Nichols, got Tims for the back? (it's a 2000 gmc 2500 crew)
  7. Riccas

Riccas Member

Hang 8'2" Poly V on the front of my Duramax CCLBs with no issue and thats a lot worse than a 7'6" on a CCSB Gasser
  8. Otts

Otts Junior Member
    from WI

It will be fine.
  9. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

yeh that'll be a sweet rig. timbrens and a few turns on the t-bars, you'll be all set
  10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I would definitely go with a bigger plow =] the power that motor puts out will wreck the 7.5 footer!
  11. saynow

saynow Junior Member

Mike W, why do you think the motor will wreck the 7.5 foot plow? I am more concerned the plow will tear my front end up. I got Timbrens and new pitman and idler arms put on too. The other ones were shot. do you know how many amp alternator is on this thing? I couldn't find it anywhere. It's the 7.4l (454) Thanks
  12. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

For your Alternator ratings you will have to see what RPO code you have in your glove box. For example mine says KW2 which is for the 124 amp alternator. This is on my K3500 with the 7.4L. I'm not sure what the other codes are for other amp alternators.