1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I plow with this thing or not?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cumminswithplow, Dec 23, 2004.

1. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

Went to the western dealer today. they told me that they wont put any type of plow on my truck. Said the book doesnt recomend it. Called the boss dealer. They would ;put a 8" straight on it. Or I could go with a hiniker. Does anyone else use this truck for a plow vehicle?

2005 Dodge 2500slt
    quad cab long box
    %.9 HO cummins

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

They don't recommend it because of the long wheel base and weight of the diesel. I have a Ford, ex. cab long box with the powerstroke and I out mine on regardless of what ford says.

3. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

They all tell you the same BS, Xtra cab, diesel engine....ets.
    Just get Meyers 8' plow and you'll be just fine. Meyers dont have bigger curve as some other plows but they few hundred pounts less then others.
    And same time use a common sence- DO NOT load your cab with kids, wife, friends.... keep the load down!

96' Dodge Diesel Xtra cab, 8' bed. Meyers plow.

4. cumminswithplow

Wouldnt using timbrens make a big difference anyway? As long as I never take it to the dealer with the plow hangin on the front I don't think I will have any problems.

5. dodgerocks

dodgerocks Junior Member

Don't worry about it and your dealer shouldn't care. I've plowed with my '01 with the Cummins and now plow with my '04 3500 with the Cummins. The only thing I regret is not putting a bigger plow on or better yet a v-plow. Good luck

6. cumminswithplow

On thursday My truck goes to the western dealer to have a mvp plow installed. Had to twist his arms to get him to do it. I agreed to have timbrens installed. So he was ok with it. He said the plow ways less then 900lbs so that should be ok. Hopefuly it wont hurt anything.

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 2000, 3500 Diesel, quad cab long box. I am running a 9' with heavy sides. Timbrens are a must and keep the front end greased. The truck will do fine. These dealers are all over reacting.

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

No they're not- you're comparing apples and oranges- 3500 trucks have always had heavier axles in the front than the 2500's.
    2500's used semi floating, 3500's use full floating.

The weight capacity is MUCH different between the two.

The Timbrens are not the solution and that shows the plow dealer does not know what the real problem is- they have no effect on the weight capacity of the axle-they only add to the front springs.

Personally you're asking for trouble putting a plow on such a heavy truck. The Quadcab longbeds are not suitable for that much weight.
    I have a truss on mine and will be replacing the front axle with a full floater as soon as I can find one.

Bringing it to the dealer for service it doesn;t matter if you have a plow on it or not (and even if you take it off are you going to rtemove the push plates and wiring harnesses every time you bring it in? It's not like the Dodge dealer won;t notice those things)

They cannot not service it under warranty unless the componant beeing repaired is directly related to the powertrain and therefore the plow.

If you have the Snow Plow Prep package the enginewill still be covered but the suspension will not and the Tranny might not- nothing else is affected and if they deny you coverage for something unrelated not only is it a lawsuit but a better business issues as well as a NHTSB issue.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  9. sam973

sam973 Member

I'm almost 100% sure that all 2500 and 3500 Dodge trucks use full floating axels. Only the 1500's don't. As for the 3500 having a bigger axel than the 2500, thats not correct either. They both come with a 5200 lb rated front axel when you get the diesel. The only differences in the 3rd gen Dodges betwean a 3500 and 2500 is the rear axel and rear springs. Everything else is the same.

10. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

You are correct about the front axle capacities between the 2500 and 3500. Plows aren't recomended because with the suggested ballast, you will be over the GVWR with a heavy plow. On Western's Quickmatch, I put in my truck 2003 2500 Quad longbed Diesel and it shows the 7.5 midweight (est 532 less mount) with 700 lbs ballast. It leaves very little for payload capacity. Mine only has about 1600lbs!

11. cumminswithplow

Here is how I see it. The western dealer told me that my truck is under rated to have a plow hangin on the fron of it. So wwe looked at the differences for the different trucks. I am installing timbrens on the front. I am also installing an extra leaf in the rear. This combination should be enough to bring my gvw up to snuff. Lets face it. The plow is not on the truck that long. You put it on when it snows. You use for 2 or 3 days. Then its off again. I also talked to the dodge dealer. He said that it wont void my warranty. But it could cause some parts to only be prorated should a repair need to be performed.

12. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

As i posted before, why mess with western- look @ meyers if you want to go ez on your front end. As far as i remember the difference between western and meyers in 8' approx. 200lb! Look into it!
    My truck is dodge '96 diesel, x-cab and 8' bed and no snow prep. So far no problem........Make sure to limit cab to yourself to reduce load on the front.
    I think you'l be just fine. As far as warranty- I have no idea. If you still under it, make sure not to loose it! Your other option is getting older junk truck ( I almost bought one this summer for $700 with plow!) who cares what you drive, people just as happy to see you there when they need you!
    Have Fun!

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Again -Timbrens only add sprung weight capacity not unsprung capacity NOR do they increase the weight limit designed into an axle. Adding a leaf will add to the capacity of load you can carry in the rear but it doesn't make the rear axle stronger.

Now the rated weight of the axles for the front to the 2500 and 3500 IS different as is the construction. Check out the service manuals- or price the front rotors and wheel bearings.

2500's have 1 piece rotor/hubs with pressed in bearings that are not regreaseable or replaceable- bearing goes bad it is an expensive repair. (over $800 last time I looked into it)
    3500's have replaceable and regreaseable bearings.

The axle's are different.

If they are willing to prorate warranty parts that is new since mine ran out- it may also be a dealer doing something other than Dodge.

14. sam973

sam973 Member

what generation of truck are you talking about? It sounds like second gen to me... In 03 the axel design changed for the third gens.

15. cumminswithplow

I looked into meyers. There dealer is too far away. According to my dodge dealer. The 2500 and the 3500 front axles are the same. The only difference is in the rear. The 5200 lb rating is the tops for now.

Had my mvp installed today. The dealer who has a great reputation in town has some issues to still correct. When they reinstalled the bumper they got it on crooked. There are some dust shields that are on backward. The wires for the handheld controller are hanging down by the accelerator. And he didn't have the plow ready to go. So tomorrow I have to go back.

16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Depends on your generation reference. I am talking 94-01 or 02 truck- until the new body/frame style came to the 2500/3500's from the 1500 they were the same axles.

17. sam973

sam973 Member

The question was about the third gen trucks, specifically 2005's. As for the second gen the offerings were 1500 which came with semi floating axles, 2500 regular duty which came with full floating in the rear semi in the front, 2500 HD which came with full floating front and rear which was the same as a 3500 minus the dual wheels. Not sure why you brought up second gens that didn't have anything to do with the guys question??

18. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Now I'm confused

Okay I have a 2004 Ram 2500 Quad cab, Hemi, Snow plow prep. I put a 8' Fisher HD and a Model 1000 spreader on the rear, I carry 15 bags of 50lb salt and a single stage snow thrower. Am I screwed too. My dealer said I could plow without voiding the warranty, and the plow dealer never mentioned an issue of being overweight.

For the record, I agree that adding springs and timbrens won't increase the axles capacity to carry extra weight, they just carry the load better.

19. sam973

sam973 Member

The snow plow prep gives you the 5200 lb front end too. That should be more than enough since you have the gass engine which weighs alot less than the diesel. I wouldn't hesitate even if I had the diesel. The trucks can handel it fine. I see lots of them around.

20. cumminswithplow

From what I understand there is a 500lb difference with the gas motor. Ive got the v-plow on mine. Might get bigger springs. They are calling for snow this week. Hopefully I will get to use it. Also my dealer said that there shouldnt be any warranty issues with the truck.