1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

can i plow with my truck?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hearnsy, Jan 22, 2011.

1. hearnsy

hearnsy Junior Member

i have a 2006 hemi ram quad cab slt. i was told by people i cant plow with it, yet i see plows on some 1500's.....i understand its not a 2500 but can i buy a plow without hurting the truck?

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

as long as it is a 4X4...no problem
    just dont try to hang a 10' plow on it....lol

3. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Truth is you can plow with just about anything. In the end it's more about how you set it up, what type of maintenance you're willing to go through, and what type of stuff you're plowing. Personally I wouldn't want to plow (or could) my accounts with a 1/2 ton pickup any more than I'd want to plow with an Explorer Sport Trac, but there are people who do and do just fine.

4. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

I plowed all last year with a Ford Explorer... you can plow with anything if you know what you are doing and are prepared. You also need to take it easy with smaller trucks/suvs.... This year I did not want to destroy the explorer though and bought a used F250 though.

5. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

6. Jgramlich

Jgramlich Senior Member

You can absolutely plow with a half ton, just be willing to put some money into your front end more frequently. I would, at the very least, recommend beefing up your front springs... not so much for pushing snow, but for carrying the plow. I plow with a Bronco and it has more than enough power.

Search the threads, there are countless on plowing with half tons.

Good luck!

7. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

I'm plowing a few drives ( friends/family ) with my 1/2 ton.

8. Mrplow247

Mrplow247 Member

people plow with corvettes and smart cars.

all these threads are nuts, of course you can!!!!!

the better question is, will it be durable, will it be reliable, and things of that nature.....
    are you plowing 1 driveway or 50 gas stations?

9. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

I've plowed in my 99 1500 silverado for 4 years and have had to replace my tie rods and pittman arm once, about a 200 repair, btw my plow weighs 740lbs

10. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

Recommendations are for the majority of users. Of course you can GET AWAY with doing just about anything if you're; careful, knowlegeable and/or lucky. Heck I cross the road everyday without even looking and I've never been injured!

Seriously though, the issue comes from "light duty" extended frame trucks not being as robust as their heavier cousins. Take the Chevy 1500 for example. The bonus/extra cab option is not recommended for plowing in the 1500 class. They recommend going to the 2500 in that case. The lengthened frame structure is more reinforced on the 2500 than the 1500. The shorter framed, regular cab is OK.

11. somervillelawn

somervillelawn Member

You can plow with that truck. I'd just stick with a 7.6 foot plow and take it easy when your plowing. You shouldnt have any problems.

I saw a gmc jimmy with a 7.6 plow on it yesterday and a chevy colorado the day before. Your truck is bigger than both of those vehicles.

12. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

i plow with my dakota which is essentially a 1500 that got shrunk in the wash. i highly recommend the western midweight. the best money i have spent.

13. Elite_Maint

Elite_Maint Senior Member

i used to have a 2003 Dodge Ram crew cab SLT with a 7.5 Western Pro. that truck plowed since new ( with previous owner) and then with me from 2008 when i bought it until i sold it in October 2010. And the truck is still plowing now. NO PROBLEMS!

14. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

I plow with a ranger

and a snowbear.

15. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

Ahhhhhh! Everyone!.... Ruuuuunnnnnn!

16. jimmyzlc

jimmyzlc Member

I plow with a 91 Chevy 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive, with a 8 foot western plow. I must say it works great. The only problem I have is going down brink roads, tends to bounce off the frame if I go to fast.