1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I plow with a 3.0 v6 ranger?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by esr310r, Dec 15, 2010.

1. esr310r

esr310r Junior Member

If i got a 3.0 v6 ranger and put a transmission cooler on it, would i be ok to plow residentials? it has 4x4 but no trans cooler yet. what do you think? would it be enough power?
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

it will do the job...plow with the storm and dont wait till there is a foot of snow
  3. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I've seen several Rangers with plows on them and used to own a couple of them. (1990 3.0 liter and a 1993 4.0 liter.) The 3.0 liter is definitely the weaker V6 and might huff and puff a bit in the heavy stuff. I'd definitely go with a transmission cooler and don't go too crazy (heavy) with a plow. And, as has already been stated, don't wait until it's waist deep.
  4. tjslider

tjslider Member

I have an Explorer 4X4... (4.0 I know..) I don't have any issues with 4-5" of light stuff. 4L will be your best friend if it gets wet & heavy. I am assuming you have an auto trans.... Add a large trans cooler AND a temp gauge. Make sure you stop completely before changing gears from D to R and back.

5. Nismothunder

Nismothunder Junior Member

I'd check your gear ratio in the truck first. Thats a major factor when your talking about the little engines. A 3.08 rear end, nope. 3.55 or 3.73 yep probley will.