1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I plow with a 1997 F250 Ex Cab?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by f2501960, Sep 13, 2002.

1. f2501960

f2501960 Junior Member

I have a 1997 F250 HD Ex Cab 4X4 (Old Body Style). No plow manufactures will sell me a plow becouse my Front GAWR is 3,850. Will I do damage to the truck if I put one on anyway? If so what can be done to fix this problem?

I would have never though I I would not be able to plow with this truck!

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2002
  2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

If they're telling you this, you must have the diesel, I've heard of this problem before.

I personally wouldn't be afraid to put a plow on that truck, even if it exceeds the rated axle capacity. You'll probably want to add Timbren load boosters to the front to keep your tires from wearing on the inside edge, but your truck should handle the plow OK.

I ran my '97 F-350 overweight for 6 years with no ill effects.

3. Hoopsfan

Hoopsfan Junior Member

I agree Pelican. I've talked to several guys who put plows on trucks that exceeded the rated axle weight and didn't have any problems.

The problem I'm having is that I need an F350 Crew Cab and would like the PSD, but the Western dealer in my area will not install it because I would exceed the axle weight. I'm sure liability has something to do with it. He will sell me the plow, but I have to install it myself. According to Ford, if I do this, I void my warranty! This is the dilemma I face. I don't have the figures for the engine weights, but I cannot believe the PSD weighs that much more than the V10.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Hoopsfan, I'd look around for a dealer who'll overlook your plow, they're out there. My dealer lets me do just about what I want with my trucks, and still honors the Ford warranty. You can't get greedy though, if you overload the truck, you can't expect them to replace a broken spring, or things along that line. If the truck has malfunctioned of its own accord, my dealer will fix it.

F2501960's warranty has been long expired, so this isn't an issue with his truck. If your plow dealer won't install, buy it outright and install it yourself, they aren't that hard to do. If you think that is beyond your skills, put out a call for help here, chances are someone in your area can assist.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2002
  5. Hoopsfan

Hoopsfan Junior Member

Yeah Pelican, I thought about visiting another dealer. Problem is, I can walk to nearest dealer, the next closest dealer is 40 miles from my house.

I'll take your advice and go see if they'll overlook the plow.

Thanks

6. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I drove past two Ford dealers to buy mine, they service me much better. How can any dealer expect the owner of a 4x4 truck not to want to put a plow on it?

8. f2501960

f2501960 Junior Member

Thanks!!

Thanks for all the help guys! I think I can handle the mounting myself I was just courious to see if it had any ill effects. It's not a diesel, it's got the 5.8L (351). I love it. I told told my wife when I go to put me and my guns in it and bury the whole thing.
    Thanks again.
    P.S. Pelican, the God, Guns and Guts is on the mark.

Regards,
    F2501950 or Browningman

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

F2501960::drinkup:

Welcome to Plowsite!

10. GreginAlaska

GreginAlaska Junior Member
    from Alaska

We have a 94 F350 Crewcab with the turbo-diesel that we put a Sno-way Lobo V plow on and plowed for 4 years with. Didn't cause any problems with the truck. Did get rid of the Sno-Way and went Fischer though. Now we have a 2001 F350 PSD with the 9.5 Fisher V - put another leaf under the front-end and we put about 3K pounds of sand in the back...hope it holds up

;)

11. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

Greg I wouldn't be too worried. After all that is the truck of Champions.

If you have too much trouble with the springs giving out you might try the air bag route. A bunch of the car haulers around here put them on their trucks. They love em. I am putting them on mine.

www.macsspring.com is the cheapest place I have found them.

12. GreginAlaska

GreginAlaska Junior Member
    from Alaska

Hi Brickman, I bookmarked the site and will keep it in mind.
    Thanks!

13. Tillerman1664

Tillerman1664 Junior Member

Just out of curiosity what size plow do you intend to put on your truck, and why are you limited to not installing it yourself?

http://community.webshots.com/album/49947875czjckL

14. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Hoopsfan,

I had the same problem with my local Fisher dealer. I wanted them to install a 8.5 EZV, and no matter what I said, he wouldn't.:realmad:

Here is the deal.

If you install a plow on a SD that the Plow Prep package is not avail. on, you will technically have voided the warranty. Unless you do what I did, which was to talk to my dealer about what I was doing. He agreed to honor my warranty even if I installed a plow(I have bought 4 trucks from him).

Second, all 250's and 350's have the same front axle. It is rated for 5200 lbs. The limiting factor between the different models are the springs. SD's with the Plow Prep come with "X" code front springs. This also happens to be the stock springs on a 450 and 550. They are rated at 6000 lb(remember, you still have only a 5200 lb axle). So, Install some X springs.;)

I went to the local Western Dealer and they told me the same thing, no plow. I told them I had upgraded the front springs. They asked, "Are they rated for at least 5200 lbs.". I said "Yes".

A day later, I had a Dealer installed 8.5 MVP on my truck:drinkup:

By the way, when set up to plow, my truck wieghs in around 9100 lbs.

Greg

15. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Dockboy, have you seen my posts regarding the front axles on the F-250, 350, and 550, both here and on the "other" site? Believe it or not, they're the same.

16. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

I know. I thought that is what i said:confused: :D

Greg

17. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

So if the snow plow dealer takes your word for it, just tell him you put them on and presto, new plow.

18. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

You didn't mention the F-550, which also shares the same axle, the point of my post.:)

19. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

I know this post is a little old but I thought I'd post anyway.

I have the same truck, same engine and same front axle. I got the same "you can't put a plow on that truck". I was VERY disappointed to hear that. Found one place, a reputable one, that said he'd do it but wouldn't recommend it if there were multiple drivers. Whatever that means exactly. I said put it on; it's a western 8' pro plow. I haven't had any problems with it yet; it was installed in 2000. The only thing that's wrong with it is the HUGE turning radius doing residential.

20. drobson

drobson Senior Member

I've got a 1999 F350 SD with a Front Axle rated at 4500, everything I've read says it needs to be at least 4900. My Ford dealer (the one I just bought the truck from) tells me that it will be fine with the 4500 axle, and that because my factory warranty is up anyway (74K miles on the truck) it won't make any difference. I'm worried that the weight of the plow may damage the front end, maybe not right away, but if the axle is not made for the plow it could do major long term damage.

Anyway, I want to put an 8' fisher on it and so far it doesn't look like it will be a problem, but in the back of my mind I am still worried about the long term damage.