1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

can i plow driveways with this?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bdlawncare, Nov 26, 2011.

1. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

I have been looking for a plow truck and i cant find anything worth a damn can i plow driveways with this truck i already own it and didnt pay anything for it... all it needs is a plow.. and i just replaced the front springs last week the front end sits about 2 1/2 inches higher than in the picture... The truck runs great just wondering if i can plow driveways with this... I know its not ideal but will i get used to it or is it even possible? Thanks BTW i only have about 45 driveways and they are mostly double wide

photo[1].jpg

2. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

what have you used in the past to do these "45 driveways"?

3. espyj

espyj Member

No longer than my crew cab short box truck. Visibility isn't quite as good as a pickup, but if you're comfortable with it, it'll certainly do the job.

4. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Get used to using your mirrors, and put a good quality set of backup lights on it.

5. C&T Landscaping

C&T Landscaping Member

I've seen alot of people on here use those Excursions to plow...granted they did have the 7.3l PSD

6. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

3 snowblowers lol, i dont know i dont have alot of money and i have this already a plow will only cost me 3 grand and i know this truck is well taken care of... no rust ect. I am just worried it will be to big for driveways but i guess i will order a backup buddy and it definately beats 3 snowblowers lol that was brutal. Its acutally big enough in the back for me to get a snowblower in there. believe it or not.

7. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't want to plow with it,but if it is all I had I could.

8. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

Yea i only have 45 driveways? what? that's called a business!!duh

9. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

i know someone who plows with a 9' western on the front and a trailer hitch mount up and down plow on the back lol all driveways. instead of back dragging which doesnt always work he backs in and drops both until he has enough room to back up to a clear stop and then just drops the front plow and plows it all out. the only problem being some towns ticket pushing snow out in the street and across even if you do a nice job so be careful.

10. MowForReal

MowForReal Junior Member

yes. the excursion is essentially a f250 with permanent metal/glass cap.

11. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Do not order the back up buddy, this product is better. Research the two and compare, http://www.whitenight.com/ White Knights reverse lights enables you to use your trailer hitch with the Light system unlike the "Back up Buddy". Have a picture in my profile of the Knight system at night.

One problem you could run into using your SUV is the carrying of equipment like shovels, salt/sand, or blower/thrower and the fumes from carrying fuel cans. Might be forced to tow a trailer which would be required to unhitched to plow. You can plow with anything, guys are doing it with ATVs instead of the expense of a truck plow. Seen a group yesterday pulling a Toro thrower out of a rusty 1980s Caravan.

Good Luck with your choice. Would enjoy viewing a picture if you install a plow...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  12. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Yeah, im not to worried about the fumes ill pop out the rear windows so it will vent... but other than that there is plenty of room for shovels ect.... and i dont salt my buddy with a pickup salts my driveways so one less thing to worry about... IDK i am still unsure on this one and i am going to look at a chevy 2500 HD tomorrow.... still leaving some options open because i am still not sure what i should do.... next year i will definitely have another pickup but sometimes making due with what you got is the name of the game... the jury is still out on this for now.... and i will make sure i let you guys know what goes down... n if this beast gets a plow there will definitely be plently pics!

13. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

It would deffinately be possible. Like someone else already stated, it is pretty much an f250. I have seen a few people plow with those. And if you are plowing all of those driveways why would you need a blower?walkways? And if so, you should look into a heavy duty cargo carrier that just goes into your trailer hitch and you could load a snowblower right up onto that thing.

I dont think the visibility would be any worse than most other plow trucks, I know when I have my sander in the back I only get to use my mirrors anyway

14. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

That looks way too nice to plow with....jmo

15. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

throw a plow on it and dont look back

16. dan6399

dan6399 Member

Its a nice looking truck. As long as your used to driving it Id say go for it. I plow a pile of driveways with my Crew Cab Long bed Dually and a 9' plow. As long as you feel comfortable doing those driveways with it go for it.

17. DScapes

DScapes Member

Tell your buddy with a pickup if he's going to be there already to salt, to just take an extra 4 mins to drop plow!

Sit on your can and watch the money roll in!

18. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Dont waste your money on the white knights, they are a flaming piece of garbage and only last a year or 2 at the most. They are made of plastic and break just looking at them.

19. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Well i have a cargo thing for the hitch already a nice one that will hold a snowblower no problem... but wont that add like 2 and a half feet... the truck is long already plus that wont it be to big?!?! and also my buddy doesnt have a plow on his truck he does most of the snowblowing for me... we have a couple driveways that are just a hassle to plow ( i would assume) because ive never plowed them before but this year i have roughly 25 more accounts and some larger ones at that.... so a plow is a must, so im just trying to get everything figured out before its too late!

20. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

If cant afford much trade that thing in on something will work for you better
    Down trade to a jeep they work best on driveways