1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I pile bulk salt higher?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ChicagoSnow, Nov 13, 2001.

1. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Last year I built a 3 tier concrete block (2x2x8') salt bin with a "Cover all" roof system - which I'm very satisfied with.

The only challenge I have is I'm trying to fit more salt inside of this bin to stock pile salt in case of a shortage. I have about 14' worth of additional height that I can use to maximize this salt bin. I don't have a wheel loader - just a 773 Bobcat.

Any type of conveyor systems out there?? Or any "home made" set ups?

Thanks for your input.

Joe

2. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

with the machine you have (i have the same) i think you are kind of limited ...you could rent a loader or backhoe for a day to get a bit more height !?

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

what about tracks on the skid steer, and making a "ramp" up the pile?

Geoff

4. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

you could build up dirt on the backside of your boxed area(with your skid) and have them dump it from there.......would be a big ramp ,but another idea

5. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Building a ramp is your best bet. I do it a lot to reach the second floor when framing houses when my New Holland wont reach. It works pretty good. IN the winter the ground will freeze and your ramp will be fairly solid. As long as you build the dirt against the back and the salt on the inside up at the same time you should be able to do what you need to do, as long as you have some extra fill laying around.
    Casey

6. ChicagoSnow

Thanks for the input!

I will have to build a ramp or try to rent a conveyor of some kind?

We'll see how it goes............I'll let you know.

Joe

7. ChicagoSnow

Well everyone -

After many discussions regarding "piling salt" higher in a salt bin, my solution to the problem came to me today!

I used my 2 stage 32" Ariens snow thrower to throw (1 semi)21.5 tons a top of a 6' tall (90 ton) salt bin pile. It worked like a charm.

Thanks for everyone's help in this forum!

Joe

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Really??? That must have been noisy and hard on that blower. I would not have thought of doing that.

9. 66Construction

WOW!! I never would have thought to do that! Was it a pain or did it just go right through it. I know older snow that's become more like hard ice cyrstals goes farther then regular snow. How far did the salt go.
    Casey

10. ChicagoSnow

The salt blown out of the 2-stage snow thrower went between 30'-45' in distance @ 15' height! With my 32" snow thrower I took half passes and it was fine. Not noisy..........same as any other gas powered equipment.

Joe

11. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmmm..... now doesn't THAT lend one to do some serious thinking...........????

12. 66Construction

If only they sold snowblowers with a pre-weting system! you could pile the salt and spray it with magic all at once.

John you're just the person to create such an invention!!

Go get one of those airport snowmachines a few thousand gallons of magic and go to town!

13. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

UP UP and Away

Seems to me that corn is about the same size as a piece of rock salt. Why not get a used Auger. I've seen them with a loading pan that would be or could be adjusted to the size of your bucket.:cool:

14. ronald d hipp

ronald d hipp Junior Member
    from pa

what is a coverall roof?

15. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Ronald Coverall roof is just one of those plastic canvases with galvinized metal bows like a round greenhouse type garage but they use them in this situation on top of cement blocks for a roof .You can see them at www.clearspan.com.

That is a good idea now just get some machines make some new lables and market it as a slat pileing system and you will be all set.lol But sierously that is a good idea to use it for that,never would of thought of using it for that.

16. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

Funny you should say that 66Construction
    I designed a mixer for the sole purpose of mixing salt and magic last year .We use two 5 yard loaders who can barely keep up with the machine and put a calibration system on it with a high speed stone thrower which are popular out west.The stone thrower is usually hooked to a tri axle dump truck.We can mix and throw the treated salt where ever we like within 60 feet at 360 tons an hour and can get it down to the ounce of liquid mixed if we want.It is noisy as i have a 125hp John Deere diesel running it. It runs by remote control so the loader operaters can control it and it can be pulled behind a 1 ton truck.

17. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

snowthrower to stack salt? great idea!

18. ChicagoSnow

Just wrapped up my second season of "salt launching"!

My Ariens barely looks like it has seen any work at all with all the salt flowing through it. The only challenge is keeping the salt dry before "throwing" it above your existing salt pile. The drier the salt the better.

ChicagoSnow

19. 66Construction

Taconic If anyone could come up with something like that it was definitly you, I've never seen so much magic salt as when i was at you shop.

Me I'm still a big fan of 2 guys a skidsteer and an electric pump and sprayer, oh yeah dont forget the 12 pack.
    Casey