1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

can I mix Mag with water

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Eshapes, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Eshapes

Eshapes Junior Member
    from NC

It is a Dead sea product

I want to make a liquid that I can spray for pre-wetting, anti-icing. Will this work?

2. DKG

DKG Senior Member

Absolutely, liquid de-icers are dry product disolved in water. I believe the instructions are on the bag. If not I think it is add 9 bags to 80 US gallons of water (I think)

3. brimfield

brimfield Member

You should use around 4 lbs per gallon to do this if calcium chloride and magnisium are somewhat close. check out this post and go to the web site listed.
    PaulChristenson
    Junior Member Join Date: Dec 2008

I think your concentration is too high for the temperature your working in...

Your freezing point lowers as you increase your % of CaCl2 until you reach 29.5% after that the freezing point start to RISE!!!

The lowest freezing temperature of -60F is achieved at 29.6% CaCl2

at 34% concentration your freezing point has risen to +10F
    at 45% concentration your freezing point has risen to +78F

Check the table on page 8 of the following document...

http://www.dow.com/PublishedLiteratu...romPage=GetDoc

4. Eshapes

Eshapes Junior Member
    from NC

I have heard anywhere from 1.85 lbs per gallon to as much as 8.5 lbs per gallon. The Mag has 47.5%
    MgCl in it.
    I am also wondering how much I need to apply and should I use a spray nozzel or a pencil nozzel? Thanks for the help

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You do every time you apply it to the ground to melt snow\ice.