1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

can i make liquid calcium de icer with dow flake? i need to fill 150-200gallons

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Kzoolawnking, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Kzoolawnking

Kzoolawnking Junior Member

wondering if there is a simple quick mix ratio to make liquid de-icer for a boom setup can i drop dow flake in and mix water? and input would be great. i really dont want a brine setup at my current location.

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I didnt write this. I'm just copy and pasting it. Found it on Plowsite here a couple of years ago in one of the threads. The search feature is also your friend.

First, there is no more Dowflake (78-78%). There is only Dowflake Xtra (83-87%).

Now put 41 lbs. of Dowflake Xtra in 8.2 gallons of water and you will end up with 10 gallons of 32% liquid calcium chloride.

If you wanted to make 250 gallons of 32% calcium chloride, you would need 1036 lbs. of Dowflake Xtra and 206.1 gallons of water.

Also, back to the original ?. In one gallon of water - 4 lbs. Dowflake Xtra and 0.8 gallons of water will give you 1 gallon of 32% cc.

For winter applications, the highest you should attempt to make is a 35% solution. Anything other 35% will fall out of suspension in freezing weather

3. Kzoolawnking

Thanks for the response, i usually run through 1 ton of bulk salt per event. what would you see as equivelant to that in liquid form.. ?

4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Yes, I have never tried but I have heard you do need to keep it suspended.

5. Kubota 8540

In calcium chloride brine? 200-250 gallons? Maybe.

6. Kzoolawnking

i wish i knew of ANY fill stations for calcium with 30 miles of Kalamazoo, Mi that would solve my whole dilema.

7. Kubota 8540

Only time I have had problems keeping it in suspension was when I was trying to dissolve to many chlorides in to few gallons of water.

8. Kzoolawnking

do you have any idea of how many mixed gallons is equivilant to 1 ton of bulk salt? 120 gallons sound right?

9. Kubota 8540

Well if 1 ton of salt were claimed to treat 3 acres, with my 32% liquid calcium chloride I would probably use approx 180-240 gallons

10. Kubota 8540

But I seldom use straight calcium chloride. I use a 90% salt brine / 10% calcium chloride mix at a cost of .17 cents per gallon at a max of 100 gallons per acre.

I use this brine maker to make the salt brine and can also be used to make the cal chloride .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCISUte2IwE&feature=channel&list=UL

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  11. MARK SUPPLY

MARK SUPPLY Member

I would look in to taking some totes to get some well brine.

12. szorno

szorno Senior Member

KZOO- check out http://www.thechlorideguy.com/ He may service your area easily. Or you might be able to get a smaller (1200-1500 gal) yard tank cheap and have him bring it.

13. WildRidge

WildRidge Member

KZOO are you still looking for liquid calcium chloride? I offer it in 2.5, 5, 15, 55, 275, and +3000 gallon increments. Our product is unique in the fact that we have added twice the amount of a tackifier which keeps the solution active 3 times longer than other mixtures on the market. This also helps keep the product on the concrete/asphalt surface and not tracked inside your customers building. Let me know if I can help. Joe

14. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Wildridge where are you located?

15. WildRidge

WildRidge Member

I'm located in Indianapolis, Indiana.

I can get you FOB pricing out of Spring Lake or Grand Rapids, Michigan. Which ever works best for you.

Let me know if I can help. Joe

16. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

If you get a few totes and drive up to St. Louis, MI (Michigan Chloride Sales) You can get them filled for about $40 each. I get 10 acres on a pretreat and about 5 on post treat per tote.

17. upstate29353

upstate29353 Junior Member

18. Kubota 8540

19. upstate29353

upstate29353 Junior Member

this is what i was looking at

First, there is no more Dowflake (78-78%). There is only Dowflake Xtra (83-87%).

Now put 41 lbs. of Dowflake Xtra in 8.2 gallons of water and you will end up with 10 gallons of 32% liquid calcium chloride.

If you wanted to make 250 gallons of 32% calcium chloride, you would need 1036 lbs. of Dowflake Xtra and 206.1 gallons of water.

Also, back to the original ?. In one gallon of water - 4 lbs. Dowflake Xtra and 0.8 gallons of water will give you 1 gallon of 32% cc.

For winter applications, the highest you should attempt to make is a 35% solution. Anything other 35% will fall out of suspension in freezing weather

20. Schoenberg Salt

Schoenberg Salt Member

Looks good Kubota... just be sure to always add Calcium to Water and not the other way around since the reaction creates heat.