1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I leave the plow on my Ford F250 all winter?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jimbowilly, Jan 17, 2016.

1. jimbowilly

jimbowilly Junior Member

Hi,
    Is it true I shouldn't keep my snow plow attached to my Ford F250 all winter?
    Seems like F250's are built tough enough to carry the weight of the plow without causing any problems?
    Thanks
    Jimbo

2. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

My RTII Boss is a pain in the wiener to get on. Once it's on, it's on for the season. I don't take it off unless the truck needs to go to the mechanic. Last spring we didn't even take it off the truck, but, the truck sat all summer.

No reason it can't. Do you have another rig to drive instead?

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Two of our 3 trucks sit unless it's snowing or salting but the one I drive has a plow on all the time unless there's going to be several days in a row with zero chance of snow.

4. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Our trucks the blades stay on, but they are snow only trucks. If your going to drive 100s of miles a day I wouldnt recommend it, but other wise you should be fine. We use to take blades off for salt runs only, but it only takes getting burnt once not having your blade with you and we put a stop to that

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Unless there's snow in the forecast after a storm the plow comes off.
    Why deal with the hassle of having the plow on when it come to parking.
    A 3/4 or 1t pick up can handle the weight but the weight will fatigue chassis components sooner.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You can do whatever you want.
    take it off after every use, leave it on all winter long if you choose.

on a dally driver unless you live in the Snowbelt it could be a good idea to take it off, its easier on your furd tough:laughing: truck and the tires.

or just leave it on a dedicated plow truck.

choices......:drinkup:

but then some states have laws that say something like it has to be removed 24hrs after the snow event. if its going to be driven on the public streets.

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

A lot of good info here. NO mention of year of truck, where you live, what blade, or even if it's a daily driver.

8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Newer ones no problem, older ones I wouldn't.

9. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

As others have already said, you can do either. If you want my 2 cents, think about this. Most plows add 500-800 pounds hung out well past the front axle. (Think lever arm.) So that's a significant extra load on things like springs, shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. That's also a significant extra load on your engine, transmission, transfer case, axles, etc. And finally, I don't know about you, but I kind of hate maneuvering in normal traffic (or parking lots) with that huge can opener hung off the front of my truck.

So my advice would be that if you don't drive the truck much, leave it on. If you do drive it often, you'll be money ahead to take it off - even if your truck is "Ford Tough."

10. Avalanche 2500

Avalanche 2500 Member

Jimbo, Not sure where you live, but due to 700lbs.+ hanging off your
    front end all season will cause wear/tear. Not to mention the gas cost,
    but here in some parts of MA. $1.85/gal. 4years ago was $4.10gal.

Good Luck w\ your choice??:drinkup:

11. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Where are you located? What plow, year truck, how many miles a day is the truck driven? And in a pinch, does the wife ever drive it?

12. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

How often/far you drive on a daily basis is probably the biggest factor. Whenever parked make sure its down and you should be ok

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I smell a troll. All that stuff left out and he hasn't been back.

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Some guys around here put it on during cutting season in Sept and take it off in Apr.

15. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I keep ours on all winter. The only time they will get removed is if they are needed to be driven on the expressway for any length of time. Both trucks are dedicated plow / towing vehicles, and rarely do I tow in the winter. The wifes Impala gets much better mileage than the Tahoe and SD.

16. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

we take the plows off our 3 trucks after each storm, 1 being my daily driver and 1 being my fathers. even tho the f450 sits most of the time we try to drive it sometimes to keep it running. I see people everyday with plows on their daily drivers and I just roll my eyes at them, either its old or newer trucks I never seen the point of driving around with a plow on, especially when we haven't had any snow. we don't even have the plows on during salting events.

17. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

That is the most important thing. That is how a few years ago I purchased a nicely crushed trash can with the windshield washer fluid thing from the local Petro station... :angry:

18. George C

George C Senior Member

I take my plow off when all is clear, and I never travel over 20 miles with it.
    Why punish the front end when you don't have to, especially when taking it off takes about 10 seconds?
    I have a fisher, and the removal and reattachment is as easy as it gets.
    JMO.