1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I leave sand in my spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gtstang8706, Jan 12, 2012.

1. gtstang8706

gtstang8706 Member
    from MA

Good morning!

I just used my spreader for the first time ( saltdogg 2 yd poly) and apparently only used abt one yd of the full hopper. Is it ok to leave material in the unit? If I spin it out, I have to way to reload it. Any help would be great. Thanks!
  2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Only if you keep it in a heated garage.Any sign of cold weather[below 32*] and whatever you're using will start freezing in the hopper.NOT fun to pick apart.
  3. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Pure sand?

I have the same hopper and I run 50/50 mix and I've been ok leaving some material in it for a day or two. Any longer moisture will build up and it will freeze.

Pure sand will freeze for sure
  4. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

pickled sand, for a while.

Straight sand, never

Straight salt, never. Chipping out frozen material SUCKS
  5. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

hope you got a good chizzel
  6. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

or a nice heated garage
  7. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

If I prop a load of salt/sand I will always dump a 50# bag of calcium in first to insure that auger dont freeze up from wet or damp material . I keep my salt uncovered during a storm , I noticed it works faster when damp or wet. Thumbs Up