1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I leave salt in a dump bed that has the cent/hyd tailgate spreader if I tarp it ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by steve b, Nov 5, 2005.

1. steve b

steve b Member

Will the salt turn into a block even if it is tarped.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Likely, especially if left outside. Salt absorbs moisture, which then freezes, resulting salt granules being bonded by the frozen moisture. If it is tarped, moisture is trapped under the tarp. Tarping is good for keeping rain or snow from whatever it's covering; but if left on after this stops, moisture forms under the tarp and cannot evaporate. The result is wet, then frozen, substance under the tarp.
  3. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

a bad idea:nono:

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

get the jackhammer ready:eek:
  5. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Yeah, it's not a good idea. But, I have left a ton or so in a V-Box a handful of times, for up to a week or so. I knew that I'd be doing it, so I made sure the load came off the top of the stockpile, so it'd be drier. It depends alot on temperature, and moisture content. I never had to get out the jackhammer, just a big poker of sorts. I was probably lucky. My truck is always tarped, the only exception is when the loader is loading it.
  6. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

We purchased dry bulk salt from a salt dome all last year and had it in a waterproof tarped two ton with a undertailgate spreader.The truck was stored in an unheated barn and would work a couple of snowfalls before reloading. Never had any problems whatsoever.Obviously the capability of keeping it dry was important.
  7. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

You have better odds in Vegas! DON"T DO IT!!! :help:
  8. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with everyone the salts going to be a rock last year in one of our v box's on the very first storm we had a the magnet you know the one that engages the spreader to the engine go out and we had a full load on...my brother left it sit outside for 2 days..we were out there with sludge hammers getting it out. but also salt will eat anything it is hihgly corrosive...dont do it
  9. steve b

steve b Member

Deluxeco, So you loaded up before it snowed. Tarped it and then plowed with it in the bed before you spread it, and it still didn't harden up?
  10. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

If the temperature is at or around 32degrees you are ok. When it starts getting cold (25degrees or less) if figure I have about 4 hours before the salt starts to harden.

I load up, go out plow/salt, whatever I have left goes immediately back into the pile. I NEVER leave salt in my V box because I did it once, and paid for it. Broken chains etc.

Just load it, spread it, clean out, have some coffee.
  11. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

frozen salt

Had a driver one time not clean out the V box spreader. It got real cold and the conveyer chain froze to the v box. Put truck in a heated garage it unfroze and we had a working spreader again.

I have one rule now that HAS TO BE FOLLOWED. Never leave any salt in the spreaders.