1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can i just use a blower?

Discussion in 'Sweeper Forum' started by grassyfras, Oct 22, 2007.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras Junior Member

Can I just use a backpack and a push blower to do small lots? Does sweeping really pick-up debris better than a blower does?
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Yep - I use a walk behind blower at my bank to push debris to the curbs then I go around with a Billy Goat vac and pick it up. Works perfectly except for the times when the wind is kicking up and then it quickly becomes counter productive.
  3. tc21

tc21 Member

yes. I have done a larger lot about 38,000 sq ft with just a good backpack,a scoop shovel, a push boom,a wheelbarrow and three of us. Works great. Just keep moving and making piles if the sand is heavy.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

All depends what your time is worth. The lots I sweep I do at night and I get up a lot more and save a ton of time using a sweeper. The price of the sweeper paid for it's self in one season and has given me a lot of opportunity.
  5. grassyfras

grassyfras Junior Member

Im in the midwest. How much sand and gravel is on the lots? I wouldn't think I would need a wheelbarrow. Am I missing something about this sweeping stuff? How is it different than picking up the trash and blowing the dust and maybe some gravel in a pile?
  6. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

You can use a blower and a vacuum or shovels to pick up the debris. It all depends on if it snows heavy in your area and if the snow contractors lay down roadchip for traction. Also, if your city lays down sand that tracts to parking lots.

Generally, if you're doing it partime you'll get away with less machinery, but if you do full time or more often you'll soon have a sore back and the sweepers then make a difference.
    Sand does get very heavy and some of the sweepers have a dumping mechanism so you can easily put it into a dumpster or truck.

It all depends on how much work you want to do and how strong your back is...:cry:

Most full time guys can't do without many sweepers in case of breakdowns.