1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I just add Plow Wings? Dually with 7.5' plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tglasslawncare, Nov 8, 2012.

1. tglasslawncare

tglasslawncare Junior Member

I found a really clean 2002 3500 dually 4x4 Chevy Dump. It comes with a 7.5' Meyer LP that was used light. I don't know why they bought a 7.5' plow for a dually. The lady selling the truck said here husband only used the plow on there driveway. The driveway is narrow which might explain it. Anyway, if I add wings will the plow work well on larger lots and clear the rear wheels? Anyone have this combination? Thanks

2. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Wings should bring you out to over 9 feet which should clear the wheels pretty well.

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Sell the plow and get a larger Meyer for it.if it is in good shape you can get a good dollar for it. Or put wings on it.

4. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Yes

Pro wings will work and work great on that plow.

5. M.A.H.

M.A.H. Junior Member

It'll work great, I have a setup like that on my truck.

6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Why wouldn't it work? What's your concern?

7. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Because depending on your wheel base when you turn you don't get enough plow width. I have an extended cab and with a 9 ft plow you can hardly turn without running over snow. Added wings and now it's no problem, but I started with 9 ft.

8. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

Each wing will net you 1'. I literally just put a set on my 7' Meyer this afternoon, just "finished" 5 minutes ago, but still need to drill two holes. I can see it working really well. For the money, they are a great investment. Just FYI, the wings took me about 2 hours to install. The worst part was drilling out the 1 1/8 hole that one of the pins drops into. I need to find a metal hole saw.

9. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Watch for bolts to vibrate loose. I ended up finding it easier to weld the mounts on.

10. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

Good call here. I was kinda flabbergasted at the hardware situation when it came to mounting them. Ill eventually weld them on but my first but of business is to get some washers on the front and some locking stop nuts for the back as added security.

11. tglasslawncare

tglasslawncare Junior Member

Do you all suggest pro wings? As far as my concern. I was worried if it would be wide enough turning and the bolts coming loose if I use them on a regular basis. Thanks for all the help.

12. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Screw wings........ get box extensions. mine have a 4 " flair.

trust me on this. you will love them.

13. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

READ THE OPS POST.:help:

He needs more WIDTH. Box wings are USELESS in this senario.

14. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

my post was kinda unrelated.

but i do believe a 7.5 plow will cover at the least the inside tires.

if you really want to know. would this work? angle the blade. put a mark at each tip of the blade. then either square off a measurement of the distance the blade covers while angled, or simply back the truck tires up to the marks, this will tell you how wide the blade path is.

certainly if you add pro wings it will defiantly cover both wheels while plowing.

15. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You can use a regular hole saw. Just go slow and get a friend to squirt some oil on it while you're cutting. The key is a good amount of oil and taking your time.