1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I Join?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ap8402, Mar 4, 2006.

1. ap8402

ap8402 Junior Member

Hello

This site is great. I have a 350' driveway and a f-350 when I brought my house the previous owner noted this and asked if I wanted to purchase his plow also, since he wasn't going to use it in florida. It has worked great and that is all I've used it for. I would like to make some extra money plowing but really want to be able to just puch a time card and drive. I would think plowing for my local town or state would be the best for this? How do I get involved?

PS I'll strap a GPS to me, my truck, and my plow if I have to.
    Thank you
    Alex
    Swansea MA

2. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Vacation time and sick time-Or back-up driver for your truck---Thats if you can be frugal with it. You would be better off just picking up a few driveways--would take less time , but you would have to chase your money! each has it's plus's and minuses--If you plow for a municipality--you go out less equipment takes more abuse and your on call 24/7. Driveways you should make about three times an hour more than town work. And you may be able to work around your work--extended lunches--You would do most before work anyway! JMO. Welcome and goodluck!

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

go to a couple stores or bussiness or small complexs and offer bids but practice and be on this all the time to learn everything you can before next winter and youll be fine

4. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite.:waving:

Just be a sub. Find a plowing company to work for and they will pay you for you time and truck. I want to say it will be between $30-$55 an hour and you wont have to worry about collecting from the properties. I'm sure someone else could explain it better then that, but its sounds to me like that would be the best choice for you.

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If the plow is 8' or over your set for most town and even some state work. I am not the person to talk about town and state stuff, I have very little knowlage of the specifics. I do know that you can make better money subbing for a loacl company that is looking for subs, especially using your own truck. This is easier then dealing directly with customers and usually you just show up when called, do your work and get paid.

How much plowing experience do you have beyond your own driveway? Not saying its hard, just wondering how much you have done.

6. ap8402

ap8402 Junior Member

My plow is a fisher 8' I have no experience outside of my driveway, and have read many posts that state once you leave your driveway insurance is a must. I thought maybe if I plowed for the town I wouldn't need it. My truck is registered a commercial does that mean I have commercial vehicle ins. How much is commercial and liability insurance would I be able to recover these easily.

The only reason I thought working for the state/town would be easier is, I remember when I was saving a down payment for my house scrounging up the overtime was almost harder than actually working the overtime and I didn't want to get into that situation again.

Who do I contact to plow for the town. :dizzy:

7. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Welcome to the site Alex. I suggest you call a bunch of local landscaping companies and ask them if they'll take you on as a sub. The pay for southeastern Mass. should be between $50 to $70 per hour. Once you hook up with someone, you'll be the new guy which means you'll be called out last for a while. Eventually, after you prove to the company that you're reliable, etc., you'll become a regular. The more accounts the company has, the more you will probably be called out. As for town work, most pay around $65 per hour in southeastern Mass. Unless you know someone at your local DPW, even if you get on the list, you won't get called out too often. Most towns have more guys on the list than they need for most storms. I plow as a sub. I typically do a 50 acre condo project and a federal housing project. The good part of subbing is that you don't have to worry about getting paid. You don't have to keep looking out the window to see how bad the storm is as your boss will call you when he wants you to start plowing. You just get in your truck and plow until you're finished or your boss tells you to stop. Your boss listens to all the customer complaints so you don't have to. The bad thing about subbing is that you can't hang out at the donut shop or stop for an hour or two to get dinner with your wife. Instead, you just gotta keep plowing. I'll skip the donuts. They're bad for your health :D

8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Here in Illinois, they dont allow any private contractors to touch any public streets. Hell, when you see the Illinois DOT trucks, those guys when on overtime are making around $90-$120 an hour.:rolleyes: payup Subs around here make about $40-$55 an hour. I think your best bet is to get on a sub list. Or try getting some driveway accounts yourself.xysport xysport