1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I hang a Meyer 7.5 no an 95' F0150?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RB, Mar 13, 2002.

1. RB

RB Senior Member

I purchased an 87 Chevy 3/4 ton p/u and now I'm trading it even up for an 95' F150 4x4.

What is the gwv of the 95' f150?

2. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Seems like a good trade - keep trading like that and you will be driving a 2002 before long.

There are lots of 1/2 ton fords here with 7 1/2 foot plows - they all seem to work fine. Geoff will know the front axle rating - probably around 3,600 lb.
  3. RB

RB Senior Member

I'm not so sure it was that great of a trade.

The 87' Chevy only had 8,400 miles on it. when I put some new tires on it and changes the oil the truck seemed oil from some seals. Other than that it ran very good.

the 95' ford f 150 has a ez-dumper on it. That is a bonus.
  4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Hopefully it has some suspension upgrades. Otherwise that ez dumper and a plow will rip it apart. The suspension iand running gear in my Toyota is heavier then the F150. Yeah I am knocking a Ford. The F150 is just not a work truck like its big brothers. Sure the sheetmetal is the same but not whats underneath. Keep that in mind when you are working the truck.
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Now you gone an' dun it! All them half ton guys are gonna git all fired up agin!:D
  6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Rb, your GVW should be listed on a sticker inside the driver's door jamb. I'd put that truck on a scale with the EZ dumper in, I don't think you're going to have a lot of payload left.
  7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Not trying to fire them up. Just agree with you about the gvw. The F150 is ok for plowing. Plenty of power. For hauling cargo though it is not a fullsize truck. It just does not have the gvw.
  8. matthew Urban

matthew Urban Senior Member

I would be carefull with the e-z dumper, that said, I run a 92 F150 with a 7.5 Fisher MM.
    While It's not a "big truck" it will do alright for you if you keep in mind the difference between the vehicles.
    If you want any advice, email-pm me and I will be glad to share whatever I can with you.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

We have numerous setups just like that, with 1/2 tons and 7.5's. We use them for everything. They really shine in residential, but they work just fine for our commercial as well, since we plow everything at 1 inch anyway. We haven't noticed more repairs on them than the 3/4 tons, but obviously they are lighter weight. I probably would never buy another 1/2 ton new, but I would certianly use one if I had it, or buy another used if the deal was right. I wouldnt put the meyer on it though. Of all our trucks, we have three meyers. Two are the old tough heavy duty 70's versions, which are terriffic, but my brother runs a newer 7.5 meyer on his 95 1/2 ton ford. Although in two years of medium duty he has had zero problems, it just seems like such a toy plow compared to the others. It is really lightweight. We love our Western 7.5' Pros. They are a tough, well built unit , perfect for your half ton.

We either have airbags on the front coils, or replaced the coils with heavy duty ones. The airbags maintain the nice ride of the truck, where the new coils make it ride really rough.
  10. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Yes you can...Been there done that... I had a 95' f-150, that had a 7.5 ft meyers with an e- 60 lift. This was my primary plow truck for 2 years, and it is still in service as a back up now.... The only thing I strongly caution... Get good springs...I bought a set of 4000# 2 " lift springs from national tire and wheel for around $120. I put them in myself, and they made a hell of a difference. I was plowing 4 commercial size lotts with that truck, and it worked just fine. It took 4 years of heavy plowing , untill I had any major problems with that truck. After, a new trans, the truck runs great. I just took it out of service (Now a back up )this season, and put a 2002 f-250 superduty in service with a 8 ft fisher... Great truck...... Good luck

Chief Plow
  11. MusGuy

MusGuy Member

I have a 150 with a C-8, wanna talk about a heavy straight blade..... It is great on my truck... the only time you get in trouble is when you are stacking you can not barrel in to the pile.... that is when it is rough on the suspension and the framing....

Get it enjoy it and take care of it
  12. RB

RB Senior Member

I looked in the door jam and the gvw is 6,250. FGAWR is 2,950 and the RGAWR is 3776. I think those were the numbers.

Now, can I still hang that 7.5 meyers?

Also, thanx for all the info guys!

13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Everyone agrees that the plow will work out, you might want to install some load boosters on the front springs to keep the alignment somewhere near where it's supposed to be. I just have a concern with that EZ dump, I think you might get close to your GVW with that in and not leave much for payload. Keep in mind that a 150 won't handle overloading like a 250 or 350 will. Best to find a scale and get your tare weight.
  14. hot_raud

hot_raud Member

Hey RB,

How did that Meyer 7.5 workout on your F150? I have an F150 and I just bought a used Meyer 7.5 that I'm hoping to install on it. My truck has the same axle weight ratings that your
    F150 has even though my truck is an 88 and yours is a 95.

Did you install better springs in the front? Did you have to make any other modifications to get it to work?

15. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

You will be fine except you may sag more than you want. The front coils on the 150's and Broncos are quite soft. And when you throw 500+lbs on them they can sag quite a bit. I suggest getting an airbag kit for the front coils. You can get a simple AirLift kit for under $100. It works great. It is better to do that than to get new springs because then you can adjust how you want it to sit and ride. With new heavier springs you can't adjust them at all. The kit takes about an hour to install if you are slightly mechanically inclined. It consists of two airbags that go in the springs and a few hoses so you can air them up at the same time right under your hood. I have them on my Bronco and couldn't plow without them.
  16. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

enough with the ez dumper through timbrens in the front and rear end youll be fine just keep an eye on the real heavy stuff
  17. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

shut your trap you drive a baby chevy 1500 that sags when you sit in it son LOL

150 will hold a 7.5 meyers,fisher,western,boss just to name a few
    put some timbrens on and you will be fine:D

see i have a baby 250 with timbrens front and rear with a EZ dumper and a western 7.5 ultra mount plow that easthavenplower wishes he had LOL j/k

im000152 (2).jpg
  18. easthavenplower

yea ok mike i said he can put one on its all theese other guys that tell him take easy and he should but if he oputs the timbrens on like you and i said than hes fine just becareful dude because even mikes f250 with the timbrens looks and feel like its ready to snap in half when he raises the the dump body.mike ill give ya 1000 beans for your truck lol:D and my truck pushes just as much snow as yours remember those lots we did i didnt have any problems but you have to learn how to drive hiting other cars in back of you:rolleyes: yea you know what im talking aboutlol
  19. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

jeff jeff jeff

didn't you smash up someones car along with messin up the side of yours son.remember what you told me today boy :D don't get all roided up there son.atleast my truck had a scratch that you can't see.yours looked like a 500lbs woman rested up against the side of yours
  20. easthavenplower

ouch that hurts but its fixed:gunsfiring: :eek: