1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I get a plow mount for '94 Chevy Astro?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by jeremyb, Feb 3, 2009.

1. jeremyb

jeremyb Junior Member
    from canada

It's an extended minivan, the 8 seater version. I have found the Snowbear mount but it says it isn't for the Extended body....

Anyone know if I can get one?

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

:confused::dizzy::confused::dizzy:Ya got to be kidding us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

not to be to negative but W HY! you cant be that desperate .no offence meant .
  4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

If you have 1000-1500 for a snow bear you have enough to pay someone to plow the drive for ya.
  5. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

Can you say ...............MONSTER..... MONSTER GARAGE...... LOL..... I cant say that i would recommend doing it but what the hell..... most of us have seen that pic floating around here with the snow plow on that VW.....lol..... I would pay someone to push your snow for you till you get a better plow/truck-van set up. But do keep us informed if you do hook a blade to the front of that beast. :dizzy:
  6. jeremyb

jeremyb Junior Member
    from canada

Wow you guys are negative! Why can't I give it a try? They make a mount for the short wheelbase, so why not mine?
  7. augerandblade

Okay, why should the wheel base (length of the truck ) be important when you are mounting it on the front of the van. Should it not be similiar to a shorter wheelbase.??????????? I dont know, Im just throwing that out there:):)
  8. jeremyb

jeremyb Junior Member
    from canada

Well that's what I thought but that's what it says...
  9. augerandblade

I would take a look at a long wheelbase and a short wheelbase and see if theres any difference. Sometimes itsa pencil pusher setting the specs and they for some strange reason would only recommend (dumb) that you only plow with the shorter van. So get those coveralls on and do some mechanical detective work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I say go for it. It can't push any worse than this.....

11. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

A BMW w/ sidecar plowing snow? Now I have seen everything!!!!

Jeremy, is your Astro 4wd???
  12. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

Because, when they extend the frame, it is not built strong enough for the forces being applied to it when plowing. An example of this was the older 1500 series GM trucks. If you had the extended cab, the frame was too weak to handle the plow, you had to upgrade to the 2500 or larger for plowing.

There's nothing actually stopping you from giving it a try. There have been many people who thought they knew better than the people who actually designed the vehicle. It's like walking across the street without looking. You can do it hundreds of times without getting hit. Those people proclaim it is safe to cross without looking because they have never suffered any ill consequence from doing so. But sooner or later the odds catch up with you. Imagine causing a wreck with your improvised mount. *Everyone* will be lined up to string you up by the short hairs for your negligence.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  13. speedy

speedy Senior Member

The Astro is based on a Chevy 1500 shortbox frame. As long as it's not a V-plow. I don't see why a homesteader/suburbanite type of plow wouldn't work.
  14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Actually- quite often those of us who think we know better than the ones who designed it are right- the pencil pushers have legal department's guiding them too. My Dodge is not allowed to have a plow because it's a diesel (Exceeds the front axle weight limit)- I'm not the only one that's been plowing with one for extended times (over a decade on mine) with no issues. I did truss mine to be safe, but since it's the exact same axle on the 1 ton versions and they can plow.....

As to plowing with an Astro- I can't imagine it will be much use in anything heavy/wet, or deep regardless of which plow mount (I do agree with the response as to why the short but not extended - the extended cab pickups have the same limitations in some models). It's probably going to push poorly, and is defiantly going to be a bear to maneuver. You will need weight in the back, over the wheels for any traction at all- even if it is a 4wd model. I remember hearing alot of performance complaints- the lower power the engine the worse it will push- so no matter what plow with the storm.
  15. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

Surprised this hasn't been moved to the Jokes thread in the off topic forum. This just shows why some people shouldn't be plowing in the first place!:dizzy:
  16. Craaaig

Craaaig Senior Member

post pics if you do it
  17. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

How much more does the diesel engine weigh than the gas version? The difference being, that extra weight is *directly* over that front axle. A 1 ton GVWR doesn't mean you are placing the extra weight over one axle. In fact, it's more toward the rear axle on a pickup. So I think your comparison isn't valid.

I hear that a lot- the legal dept puts the ixnay on plow usage. It doesn't make sense to me. They allow plowing with the platform that can do it with the accepted margin/tolerance for failure. If your rig could handle it, it would be to their benefit to advertise it that way. They'd sell more trucks with an advantage over the competition.
  18. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

Both of you guys are wrong. The Astro and Safari vans are NOT based on a Chevy 1500 frame...they aren't even close to the same. The Astro/Safari does share a few front end parts with the 1500's as well as the "B" body cars. The Snowbear mount will work on the extended length vans...I ran one on my 98 AWD since 1999. It has always plowed my driveway just outside of Oswego, NY. Most of you guys say it'll never work...I say bull...we get more snow in 1 season than most of you get in 5 or 10!

I will say it would be pretty much useless on a 2WD van though.

Here are a couple pics...

19. PhantomRacer

PhantomRacer Senior Member
    from boston

Yup, you need to have mighty thick skin to admit you have a snowbear on this forum...Mention 2wd or a minivan...forget it.. They bring out the flamethrowers! Trust me!

have 10 years plowing with a SB on a 2wd truck, and it works flawlessly, never let me down. Never got stuck. Worth its weight in gold this season!

Search the forum, there are MANY satisfied owners of Snowbear plows.

The only thing I do on my truck is use snow tires, and throw my summer tires in the back for ballast. Has not let me down, even once.
  20. Craaaig

Craaaig Senior Member

u can plow and bring the whole family!