1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I Fit This Plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jaynen, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

I have a 2009 silverado 2500hd ext. Cab with 6.0l and 6 speed transmission. I have a 4200lbs gross front axle weight. The plow i want to get which is the arctic variable attack wing weighs 900lbs and every dealer is telling me 6000lbs front end required but there just guessing. Only place i can find anything in writing says 5200lbs front end for the plow. The torsion bars i have in the truck are gk bars. What bars do i need to put in to get me to 5200lbs. Is my truck going to feel like a covered wagon?

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Way too heavy. If you get in an accident, you're gonna be on the hook for everything.

3. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

So guess i gotta stay with a straight blade or snoway 29r. Kinda nervous about snoway and really sick of getting out to put my wimgs on the straight blade. What about a light duty v blade thats 7.5ft wide with wings. How wide would that be folded back in v for driving.

4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

9.2 boss vxt and just drive the thing...

5. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Do you live on this site? Lol. Surprised no snoway comment. The vxt is only 60lbs difference. Does that make such a big deal?

6. Triple L

from Canada

I have a 9.2 dxt on my 09 duramax, I wouldn't worry able it, 150,000 kms trouble free

7. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Ya thats not the issue. Ive seen shows on where guys in india are driving trucks from the 70s with like 20 tons on them with tires that are holding on by a thread lol. I just dont want to get pulled over and weighed. The one dealer told me get new springs and he know a shop that will re sticker my door. Is that true? Springs is all i need?

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Door jam still says the same and the legal argument

Myself personally wouldn't care

9. Triple L

from Canada

It's your front axle weight ratio, unfortunately to be legal you either need a kids size plow or a 11+ gm with the 5600 lb axle or 6000 lb axle, new torsion bars arnt gonna cut it

10. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Okay so i should stay away from this shop then? What is the actual weight of a plow i can fit? 700lbs?

11. Triple L

from Canada

Whatever you do, buy from Mark, nestech in Stratford, best guy around, well worth the trip

12. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Thanks ill check it out. Although im leanimg towards snoway cuz its my only option but i wont bring that up there. Thanks for all the advice guys!

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I ran an 810 blizzard on my 09. Sold it to a friend and it has over 200k on it. No front end work.
    I have 2 07's with western V's and wings all 4800lb axles and duramax.

14. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

But i take it those setups were all over the fawr.

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I'm pretty sure they are. We put the wings on the westerns at the first site and remove them after the last.
    Grease the front end ofter.
    Hard to make money plowing commercial with an 8ft straight blade.

16. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

I agree. Although ive done so much plowing with a straight blade with wings now that I really love it. Just hate when you run into scenarios where you want one wing off but dont bother getting out of the truck and it makes a mess. I think the wideout is my number one choice for a plow just wish they would make a version for a 3/4 ton truck!

17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That's funny. The crack about 3/4 ton truck.

18. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Ive seen a video of a wideout on a ford raptor.

19. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

There are 3/4 ton trucks that can carry a Wide-Out. Just to be the right 3/4 ton truck.

20. You are right about the dealers guessing. A 1500 with plow prep front axle rating of 3950 can easily handle a 600lbs. plow with only several hundred pounds of ballast past the rear axle. A 6K front end is only needed for the diesels, most gassers are 5200lbs with the plow prep package. Try putting 700Lbs or so ballast in the back and run it over a scale before playing with the T-bars. My 1K DXT requires no ballast with a 5200 front axle in a 2500 HD regular cab, but I like to balance things out. And yes, a truck with over a 5K axle and load range E 10 ply rating tires will not ride like a Buick.