1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I effectively plow with this truck???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Fred777, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Fred777

Fred777 Junior Member
    from ohio

I have a 2008 chevy silverado 2500 HD longbed. Unfortunately it is 2wd. Is it crazy to consider plowing with this truck? I am a remodeling contractor and have a few customers that have inquired about plowing services.

Can I effectively plow with this truck? How hard will it be on my truck? Any equipment recommendations for this truck?

I know I am asking a lot of questions. Looking through this site there is a TON of well informed pros and I was hoping to get some info from those that know.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!

Fred

2. duluthplower

duluthplower Junior Member

Every thing I've seen you can plow with a 2wd truck you just need timbrens and extra weight on the back of the truck. You would want a 8' minimum to cover the wheel path of the truck while the plow is angled. I'm sure you will get alot of plow brand recomendations. The most important thing is dealer support for parts and repairs. Hope this helps.

3. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

If you get stuck just be sure you have tow trucks number..
    Not saying 4 WD wouldn't get stuck there's a reason they made them, plowing is one .

4. Fred777

Fred777 Junior Member
    from ohio

Duluth-

Thanks for the info. Good point on the plow size....I hadn't thought about that. I appreciate your help.

5. Fred777

Fred777 Junior Member
    from ohio

Turf-

That is one of my concerns. I don't even want to consider plowing if getting stuck, etc. will be a big problem. Thanks for your reply.

Any others have 2wd input????

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

It won't be worth it my friend. Seriously, don't bother.

7. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

chains on the rear tires and 3000 lbs. over the rear wheels and you might not get stuck. And a locker

8. Mstrfxit12

Mstrfxit12 Junior Member

My thought would be, loops around a shopping center, wou'd probably be "ok" with 2WD and ballast. In and out of driveways you are begging for tow bills and damage.

9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i try to plow in 2wd until it gets to heavy or i get stuck... thats were 4wd comes in handy

10. Fred777

Fred777 Junior Member
    from ohio

Sounds like it is almost unanimous......with a lot of luck and ballast I "might" be ok. That is what I thought but wanted to get all of your professional opinion. Not so sure that I want to roll the dice on this one.

Thanks for the input!

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Fred,,,,,maybe for just a few driveways you can use a snowblower and haul it in the truck you have.
    2WD and driveways don;t work well IMO.

12. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

It won't work well for you. You would have to get a plow really cheap to make any $

13. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

You would be digging the truck out more than plowing!

14. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Buy a 4WD truck.:salute:

15. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

where in ohio are you?

16. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Have you considered picking up a used 4x4 with a plow already on it? If you are just starting out, there is no shame in "testing the waters". For the cost of a new plow for your "bread & butter" truck you could pick up an older, used rig thats already set up. For the money, it may not be pretty, but pretty doesn't get the job done. I would advise against putting a blade on your current truck, you'd be asking for trouble in my opinion. I would look into either a used truck or, as someone else mentioned, a snowblower. Best of luck.

17. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I second this, if you had a 1 ton dually you might be able to pull it off. You would need close to 3k for weight like bri said to make it work, and I just don't think a non dually would like that much weight in the back all the time. There is a guy selling a 2000 chevy with plow for $6k in the used section. I just dropped almost that yesterday on a new plow.

18. justwheelit

justwheelit Member

for commercial parking lots 2wd will work untill it gets heavy but thats about it

19. Fred777

Fred777 Junior Member
    from ohio

Looks like my decision is made. Thanks to all for the input.

20. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

all of my trucks plow in 2wd until it gets icy but it depends on what your intentions are. it also depends on how much abuse you are willing to dish out to your vehicle.