1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

can i drop a VXT on a cart in my garage?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by cdahl1177, Feb 10, 2011.

1. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

im buying a 9'2" VXT for my chevy 2500HD. i have a small one car garage that is deep enough to put the plow, tool box, and wifes car in. after doing a few mods to my truck it is to tall to make it into the garage door. i was just wondering if i can drop the plow onto a cart and wheel it to the back of the garage when im not using it? i really want to keep the plow inside because i have a hard time spending that much money and leaving it outside year round. thanks for the help.

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

You'll have a hard time getting it off and back on again as it will not be at the correct heigth... Those pins need to be around 15 inches or very close around there...

3. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

might be buying a new garage door then

4. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Seems like if you custom made the cart ( there's one in here for a straight blade if you do a search) it could work.

5. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Jklawn, that sounds a lot easier and cheaper than making my garage door bigger. I will do a search of the site

6. vincent

vincent Senior Member

7. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

i put my 8.5 Fisher X-Treme V in straight mode and drop on a cart in my garage. and its made it 1000% easier to hookup and unhook. so id say why not. works wonders for me!

8. georgerk82

georgerk82 Senior Member
    from OHIO

Just put a low profile floor jack under the center section after you take it off the truck, then just roll it around on the jack, thats how I move mine. Or if your floor is smooth just spray it with fluid film and it will slide very easy lol.

9. timberjack

timberjack Member

I'm not sure this would work, but can't see why not...............

Surely there's got to be some low profile casters that could be adapted to fit into the cast iron "shoe" brackets. Then it could roll anywhere.

10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

of course a cart will be able to roll it around! I just dont think the boss quicktach will work if its not the correct height! Jack your truck up off the ground 4" tomarrow and try taking it off and then backing up and try driving into it and hooking it back up and report back here on how it went........

11. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

If you put it on the cart while on the truck then go to take it off it will unlock. Then lower the light tower. Once you get that far then you will need to lift the plow off the hooks via floor jack. Its kind of a pain to do, but it will work.

12. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Its not that big of deal.....I use 2 standard appliance moving carts from Lowes. The V is balanced enough you can rock it onto the mount and just hold it while you hit the switch for the tower to go up.

To remove, I it just takes a tug or two, but it comes right off.

13. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Good idea, and the kickstand mount too.

14. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

so my next question is, where do i get low profile casters. i got a buddy than can build almost anything out of steel.

15. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

If you build a cart, so you can drop the plow in V mode, instead of straight...just make it so the plow sits on an angle...make the point in the front, where the center of the V will sit, higher than the lower ends of the wings(like an inclined plane)... Theoretically you'd be able to drop the plow on the cart and unhook with no problem, it would be like dropping it on the floor. No hassle to try and line back up either.

16. ANDREW2500

ANDREW2500 Junior Member

It easier then ya think i took snowmobile dollies that have the center grove in them then i took a piece of 1x1 angle cut a v in the center welded the center screwd angle to the casters and away i go when i drop the blade i give a hard tug and poof its off when i put on i just tilt plow very easy guys and cheap

17. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

You should be able to find something at like lowes, homdepot, or a farm supply store. Family home and farm (we have those around here too, never been there though.) and TSC.I think If it was mine, I'd get a set of those dollies in the above post and do just what he said. Also weld a piece of steel on it so when you are wheeling it to the back of the garage it wont slip off the "track cart". The ski carts I'd use for the actual wings and put the cutting edges in the slots for the skis.

18. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

thanks for in advice. where can i pick up some snow mobile dollies?

19. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

20. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I made a cart out of 2x6's and caster wheels from tsc, never had a problem getting my boss on and off from the cart to the truck.