1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I drive an 01 Tahoe 4wd without a shaft?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowcrack, Mar 15, 2014.

1. plowcrack

plowcrack Member

Hey fellas. Me and a buddy are working 800 miles away from home for the next couple months and my buddy's Tahoe lost the bearings on the 4wd shaft next to the front left wheel. We got a new shaft with bearing but having a hell of a time pulling the nut at the outside center of the wheel. The shaft assembly came right out no problem leaving the spline and bearing housing on the wheel. Is it safe to run it up and down the road from hotel to work and back 800 miles home like that? There's no need to use 4wd ever on this job.

So as long as we staay in 2 wheel I'm guessing that it will be ok. Am I right or wrong?

Its warm here in Macon GA BTW. What a difference!
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

If it is the bearing at the wheel I would say no since even in 2wd it will still be spinning.
  3. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I would say no since they always spin. Nothing will be holding the hub in place.
  4. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Sounds to me like the axle nut is still on, if so, drive on, OP.
  5. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm assuming you'll be ok if the wheel bearing is still bolted on.
  6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Why are you having problems with the nut? It's not a complicated job.
  7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I did it years ago with an 01 Silverado with no problems.
  8. plowcrack

plowcrack Member

Yeah the nut is still on the outside center of the wheel under the little dust cap. Clean as a whistle but it wouldn't come off. We soaked it in PB blaster and gonna wait a couple days and try it again. We noticed the new nut is crimped slightly into an oval shape on one end so looks like that's the way it locks on and if that's the way the original was..that might be the reason its putting up such a fuss. Bout ready to take it to a mechanic, throw him a $20 and have him gorilla grip that sucker off.

I dunno.....
  9. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

You need a 1/2 inch impact. It'll come right off.
  10. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Pretty much.
  11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Yep, and if you don't have one. Go to a shop and have them spin it loose for you with an impact gun.

Then go where you need to and fix it.

Or, if your 800 miles away, go ahead and have a shop fix it for you. Piece of mind.

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I'm trying to figure out how you got the shaft out with out taking the nut off. Or even the bearing. Because the nut will keep the shaft in the bearing.

And I wouldn't drive it if you did somehow take the shaft out. It will leak from the axle
  13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What are you using to try to break the nut loose?
  14. plowcrack

plowcrack Member

Well we scrounged a 3/4 inch drive sliding breaker bar and a couple cheater pipes at work and she loosened right up. Tightened it back down for safekeeping. Raining outside right now and the next couple days so the first dry daynafter work we'll pop the splines out and put the new axle in.

To answer the above question about howthe shaft came out...the bearing at the inside of the wheel had compleetly disintegrated and the bearings fell out.

Right now shes rolling back and forth to work no problem. 20 miles a day or so.

Hey thanks for the input fellas. We have it on the run now and will report back when the repair is (hopefullly) complete.

Thanks again.....
  15. myzx6

myzx6 Member

Personally I wouldn't worry about the axle nut, I would just make sure to put the broken part of the axle into the diff so it doesn't leak fluid out and burn up cause even in 2wd there is still movement inside the front diff. Onto the wheel bearing side, if anyone ever seen any of the new style half ton 2wd trucks most are the same knuckle and bearing as 4wd just minus the axle and front diff, the hub has a splined hole and all and the factory doesn't seem to worry about any type of axle nut. Now I think terminology is causing a lot of confusion on this thread, I believe the op means the inner cv blew apart but he calling it a bearing
  16. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

^ The inner cv joint is bolted to the front diff. No worries on fluid loss.
  17. plowcrack

plowcrack Member

Well we got it bolted back on no problem. 4wD working fine and down the road we go. Thanks for the help fellas.....