1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I do this - vboxes

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Moonlighter, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Hey all, I picked up two Air Flow V Boxes one is a steel 8' and the other is a 6' Stainless Steel unit. I picked them up for a very good price.:) My question is can/will the gear box from the 8' steel unit be used on the 6' stainless unit? The steel one is very rusted and I do not wish to refresh it, so I wanted to part out the steel unit, motor, gear box, chains, etc, and try to use at least the gear box for the stainless unit. And does anybody have any advise on the stainless steel unit, things to look out for? Thanks for any help.

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

the gear box should fit assuming that they are both gas....nothing really extra to look out for on stainless. might want to check out the cahin and switch it too....

3. Moonlighter

Cool thanks, yes both are gas. I'm going to take the chains off and store them in a tub of used oil or tranny fluid.

4. Moonlighter

Okay quick update, I checked both boxes out today. The steel unit's gear box isn't going to change over to the stainless unit. When I tear it down I'll find out if any other parts may change over. The sprockets can more than likely be useful. I don't feel the drag chin will be worth saving I found rust chips of metal flaking off the entire run of it. I'm going to take the motor off and see if it's worth rebuilding, it's a 10.5 hp Brigs and Straton, may be worth my time as a spare or later down the road. Any body in Michigan need any steel off of it let me know, motor cover is still good needs hinges. Stay safe winter ain't over yet.