1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

can I do any mods to 8 foot plow to make it work on a 1500?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ng8264723, Jun 26, 2009.

1. ng8264723

ng8264723 Junior Member
    from Ma

I have a plow for a 2500 that will bolt to my 1500. My 1500 is light duty though. I could lighten this plow. I have a plasma cutter and a welder. What is the difference on the blades beside the lenght ona 7 and an 8 ft plow

2. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Me to

I was interested in this as well, making it as light as possible

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

First of all, what plow is it, and what kind of truck do you have. You might be able to run it just the way it is. As for lightening the blade, I guess you could take a few inches off the top. You would need to put some kind of deflector on there though, otherwise the snow will roll right over the top of it.

4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Put it on ebay or craigslist and sell it, take that money and buy a plow that fits your truck.

5. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Solution

I found out about a solution for this problem for the 1/2tons. The fisher dealer Gary in Gilsum, NH - at Snow Sales Inc, was telling me to add Timbren Load boosters in the front and will allow about an additonal 1800lbs or so of added weight to the front of the truck and will help save the tires, and my truck has torsion bars, so I will not have to adjust those either, and it will help to reduce the stress and the forward dip on the truck when the blade is lifted,
    I checked it out, it is a bolt in set up that takes the place of the dead stop between the axel and the frame. He said the other important thing is while I am driving without the plow on I should not notice any real difference in the way the truck handles.

Can any one confirm or negate this info? - I am just completing my research.
    Also you can get this kit for under $200

6. ng8264723

ng8264723 Junior Member
    from Ma

Gary told me that i could go up to a 7.5 foot plow but not an 8. He said it was too heavy!!!!!!!!!!!

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Timbrens are very popular. Just do a search. I wouldn't be in a hurry to put an extra ton on my front end. And I have no idea how the timbrens would save tire wear. Maybe they magically transfer weight to the road, without actually touching the road;)

Yes, Timbrens help the truck carry the weight. But they do not make up for your trucks lighter duty suspension components, wheel bearings, etc.

Mayhem has the right idea anyway. Probably could do an even swap for a 7.5

8. ng8264723

ng8264723 Junior Member
    from Ma

I really don't need to make money with this thing. I'm only doing 2 driveways. I own two properties. They are 45 minutes apart. I need to do both driveways. As far as an even swap. I don't think so. I would love to but I don't see it happening

9. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

If your gonna be doing almost no plowing with it, then don't even bother cutting the plow down, it will probably do more harm structurally than its worth. Toss on the timbrens and call it a day, that's IF you don't intend to do alot of plowing any time soon, or any time in the future. If you do plan on it, you can either A get a new truck or B get an old truck as a plow rig.

10. ng8264723

ng8264723 Junior Member
    from Ma

Well if you live in CT you know what are winters are like. Even 2 driveways could be a lot of plowing

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Did he tell you timrens will mange your money and raise your kids also? A couple blocks of wood will do the same job , although the ride would be a little rough:D. All Timbrens do is carry load, they do not increase anything else. You would need to upgrade your frame, tires, axles shafts, wheel bearings, brakes, etc... Not to say timbrens are not a good thing they just are not the end all be all for increasing your weight carrying abilities.

http://www.timbren.com/frequently-asked-questions.htm question #7 in particular

Although the aron itself (04-09 ford F150 uses the ADD180-75) is capable of 7000lbs load and 10,000lbs bump stop do you really think a couple hundred dollar add on will increase your trucks capacity by that much?

And after all that; there are more then one guy out there with a 8ft blade on a F150. It's hard on the truck, shortens it's working life, requires more maintenance and repair and will eat front tires but it can be done.

As for cutting the plow, don't do it. Even the old boat anchor designs require all the parts to perform properly, either buy a new truck, a new plow or beat the 150.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  12. ng8264723

ng8264723 Junior Member
    from Ma

Basher,
    Although I appreciate the response. My truck has the same frame as the 2500 it came off of. So you got that part wrong. As far as modifying the plow. I'm sure it can be done. I have built cars from the ground up. I have fabricated frams and suspensions. I was just looking to see if anyone else has done it sucessfully. I have a full shop and could easily perform the metal fab myself. I have 250 into this plow. I'm trying to deiced if I should just buy another or sell this. Another plow is going t cost me a few grand I bet

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It was not meant to question your ability, I did not say it could not be done, I just question the worth of doing it.

And again the point I was trying to make (mostly to AC2717) is that Timbrens only stop the front end from sinking they do not increase the axle capacity

14. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

ALright, Alright

I hope you guys really do not think They get rid of the weight, I udnerstand they help with it and make the load more managable than the original suspension, I was just over-typing i guess, big deal, but I like the sarcaism though, it is always good to have banter.

Please though keep the ideas coming though, believe it or not I am learning a lot

15. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Do you really think the extra 50 lbs of the 8' blade over a 7.5' will make or break your front end?

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not at all, extra ballast could alleviate any difference, throw a set of Timbrens on it and beat it. Particularly if the truck is old enough that the frames are inter-changable, things were built heavier then.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'll take an educated shot in the dark here and say that your truck is an '88-'98 GM...correct?

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So were did I get the idea it was a ford??:confused: He even called it a 1500:eek:

not that it changes much, even uses the same load capacity rubber ADD180-75

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Being sidetracked possibly. :blush2: :D