1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can i cut down a 8foot SS Sander to 6 feet to fit in my truck??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Maleko, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

I was givin a 8 foot SS sander . it needs a new rear shoot rusted away and maybe a new chain drive? motor is new..
    Problem is i only have a 6 foot bed, Is it worth taking and modifing if it can be done? id hate to pass on it??

Give me some thoughts. I would have to get a shorter drive chain assembly?

2. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

I would fix it up and sell it and then buy a used one or new one with the money you make off of it just my two cents

3. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

+1 but....

I guess a 2 foot section could be chopped out of the middle, the halves re-welded and the conveyor shortened. If you got the proper equipment to do it yourself, It can be done rather easily. I would not pay someone to do it.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

In the equipment forum there's a guy that runs a support from his hitch to support a v box 'cause he likes his tool box so much. Don't ask what page cause I don't know... Ok.........Hitachiman2000 page 86.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I cringe at the thought... Spreaders are heavy on the rear of a pickup as it is, and this would put the majority of the weight behind the rear axle and cause unpredictable handling, which is exactly what you don't want when it's slippery...

I'm with the others. Fix it up and sell it, then buy one to fit your truck, you should come out well ahead versus just passing this one up.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, you can.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It should be pretty simple to cut the front end off and shorten the unit if you have a Plasma torch, MIG capable of running stainless wire, you'll need to use tri-mix as a purge gas instead of co2 or Argon/co2 mix. You can shorten the conveyor chain no problem.

BUT how in the world did a Stainless Steel chute rust away?

8. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Thamks guys.
    i have to go look at it a little closer and see whats going on. Either way i can have it.
    I was thinking about fixing it and selling it to, or just selling it for scrap. But dont want to piss off my friend by making money on his nice jester...

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Take a magnet. Get the manufacturer's name and see if you can fnd a model number.

By the time you do all the modifications and purchase a new rear chute what you will spend compared to what you can purchase a new unit for it doesn't seem to make sense unless you have the time and ability to rebuild the rear chute yourself. It would almost be more cost efficent if it were to be a mild steel unit. Cost would be much lower and ease of workablity significantly better.

10. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Yes you can cut it down. I have a henderson thats been cut down to 6'. Than 5 years later i welded the section right back in( yes i saved the section i cut out.) The sander is an 89 model year and i'm still using it today.
    you may find it much easier to cut it down the middle, plasma cutter works good, but a sawsall is much easier to make the cuts thru all the areas in the base section.
    As for the rear chute rusting away the original chute may of been damaged and they bought a steel replacement

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  11. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Prolly the easiest and quickest way to cut the section out is a Stihl demo saw with a metal cutting wheel. :nod: