1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

can i change from 3 plug to a 2 plug

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by killerrc51, Jan 22, 2008.

1. killerrc51

killerrc51 Junior Member
    from mass

my truck has a 2 plug harness and i have a 2 plug plow.just bought a 3plug plow. what do i have to swap from my 2 plug plow to fit my 3 plug plow ?

2. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

converting your truck to 3 plug is way more involved and considerably more expensive than converting your new plow to a 2 plug setup. Unless you are having problems with the 2 plug wiring on the truck i would suggest leaving it the way it is and converting the plow. Good luck, Roy

3. killerrc51

killerrc51 Junior Member
    from mass

?????????

how do i convert the plow?:confused:

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Though I'm not very savvy with the mechanics of it all, isn't changing from 3 to 2 primarily involving the outside lift pump? I remember reading something about the ISO modules or something like that. If BDavis is lurking about, he might have some wisdom to share.

5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You need the older Two plug headlights. They have three wires coming out of their harness to got to the pump. All lights and controls are on this plug. Buy the headlight and then sell the three plug lights on ebay.

6. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

It depends on which pump you have on your plow. An sehp pumps requires harness p/n 8246 and an insta-act pump requires p/n 21293 to convert to a 2 plug system. You will have to dismantle your lights and remove the harness thats already there and install the new harness accordingly. You will also have to open the cover on you valve box , remove the existing harness and connect the pigtail from the new harness to the plow solenoids following the diagram on the inside cover of the box. You will also have to connect the ground wire in the new harness to the motor ground. All this info is available on Fishers website and is pretty easy to understand. It sounds like alot but is really only an hour or two worth of work. Good luck, Roy

7. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

I want to go from 2 plug to 3 , maybe we can trade head lights and harness and save us both a lot of hassle.

8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match!

9. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Swapping lights and harnesses is the way to go - makes it about a 30 min job

10. nichols

nichols Member

Along the same lines, I figured this was an appropriate thread to ask this.

If I have a 2-plug setup on my truck, can I drive into a 3-plug plow and plug in to 2 of the three plugs on my truck, and at least work the hydraulics on the 3-plug plow minus the lights?

11. killerrc51

killerrc51 Junior Member
    from mass

well it dont work

i changed it just the way you guys said but all i get now is lift it wont go down or side to side do i need to chang any other wires ? like in the joystick? it sounds like it fighting it self..:confused:

12. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

It sounds like you have either a bad solenoid or a stuck cartridge. This is not an area of expertise for me so i will defer to someone more knowledgable - how bout it B&B?

13. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

The first thing i would do is to change the fluid on the new plow - thats worked for me several times

14. killerrc51

killerrc51 Junior Member
    from mass

found it

i cut the ground wire when i installed the cover back on the plow side thanks for all the input