1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I bench test an E-47 without the Nyltite bushings?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by eriklane, Jan 10, 2011.

1. eriklane

eriklane Member

I'm figuring that I can test without the bushings but, when I do, I get no pressure. Rather than burning through more then 1 set of them, I though to test without. Do they have to be installed to get a good air seal? I get no lift pressure. B valve is clicking nicely, pump runs smooth, I'm bench testing with the hose hooked up to the coupler.

I cannot get this thing to lift.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you can run it without them. check the oring on the bottom of the cylinder if it wont lift.

3. eriklane

eriklane Member

E47 problems

O ring was new from a kit. New A and B coils, B valve. All click nicely. New fluid. Old pump seal-could that be doing it? Pressure valve taken off, spring is fine. Crossover valve I removed-was a bit dry and the sleeve was somewhat rusty-cleaned it up-I dont' understand what that does and what it should look like. I have fluid showing after I remove the plunger...but all appears normal here-dry...

Also, TSC has silicone filled pressure gauges that go to 5000 lbs...Would that work to check pressure? at $12, beats the hek out of Smiths Bros...If I can get a reading then....

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Disconnect your angle hose. If it then sounds like it's straining/dead heading then the B valve isn't opening.

5. eriklane

eriklane Member

nothing helps

I did that also,it runs great, but cannot build pressure. took A out and cleaned it, same...Took B and C out, visual check, nothing out of the ordinary. Took all apart again, clean, nothing apparent.

Sounds like its just not sealed up, like the air is leaking out but, I hear nothing. No pressure is being built...I have no gauge. Even took underside of pump out, clean, no obstructions.all appears good.

#&*$^&@#%

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A gauge would certainly help but if it isn't dead heading even with no valves open then it's obviously not building any pressure. Have you gone through the pressure relief valve?

7. eriklane

eriklane Member

Pressure relief valve

Well yes, and the spring was very dry and the little metal cylinder also, some rust, I cleaned it up and put it all back together. The plunger I also checked-all seemed fine. But I just tightened it all and didn't know what to do as far as adjustments go. Basically, I'd think its back to the way it was. Do you adjust these? How?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you disturbed the relief it needs reset with a pressure gauge (assuming it's reassembled correctly of course). However as an initial test you can run it in a little to see if it will raise the lift ram then. It takes very very little pressure to raise the ram freely though. If it still won't, or it won't dead head then it still has basically zero pressure. So it's either assembled incorrectly or the pump is shot.

9. eriklane

eriklane Member

E47

Well the gears in the pump base are perfect and I see no obstruction; the pump runs fine...there's not a lot to the pump assembly...I did wonder about the shaft seal...And, there's not a lot to the crossover relief, as far as I could tell...I just put it back the way it was.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Get a pressure gauge on the passenger side angle port and run the motor.

11. eriklane

eriklane Member

Pressure

I'm going to get a pressure gauge tomorrow. The B valve is new so the O-rings have to be sealing. I can't get the left/right block off-the allen nuts will not budge...I'm thinking either it's gunked up or, the pump shaft seal may be bad...

If someone says 'your pump is bad', I would want to know what that means. There's 2 gears and a large ring on the pump base, that's it. Took that apart too-clean, fine...

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A properly working gear pump will build pressure and dead head against the relief regardless of whether there's a plugged passage in the valve block or a valve isn't opening. And the pump shaft seal only prevents it from leaking fluid externally, it won't prevent it from making pressure. Just like the plastic sealing washer you asked of in your first post.

Usually when they leak from the pump seal the gear pump clearance has opened up therefore it's worn out. You won't see any visible wear, they'll appear nearly new inside and turn as smooth as silk but won't make pressure. So you can't base gear pump condition on a visible inspection.

13. eriklane

eriklane Member

gear pump clearance

You said, 'The gear pump clearance has opened up'...so, in Engrish :rolleyes: what you mean is my 2 gears aren't making pressure?

Now, what about the pressure adjustment on the backside of the pump? Say my gears were good, how do I adjust that? Since I've had that apart, and didnt know how to adjust, is it possible I messed it up and now that's causing it?

But, going back in time, I did have some lifting for 1 use, then it failed. And when torn apart, lots of gunk in the sump...cleaned it out and after that, nothing...

Oh, and it appears that if the pump gears are bad, I have to buy the entire base? $150 for aftermarket, $250 for Meyer...? JOODAS!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It needs a pump regardless but that isn't causing your current issue directly. It will become apparent once you use it for a while.

Get a gauge on it and post the results.

15. eriklane

eriklane Member

No pressure

Took off the pressure adjust valve on back of the pump-ran pump-nothing came out...zero. When I took the gears apart, I see a small piece on the edge of one of the teeth that appears to have been chipped off...could that do it? No idea how that happened. Plow did work for one test run...can I get new gears? Nothing else is bad. I did replace the pump seal...

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If there's any visible damage at all the pump should be replaced. The gear tooth with the chip will be the first one to fracture.

17. eriklane

eriklane Member

E47

Are the gears sold anywhere?

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No, the gear pump is a non serviceable component. When it's time for replacement it's replaced as a complete assembly.