1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can connections"burn" themselves into working?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by xtreem3d, Feb 19, 2015.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Didn't know what else to title this....I have a dual electric smith spreader. If I turn it on first thing it wont work. Just as a last ditch attempt I left the salter turned on for about 10 minutes and the salter started working. Can connections "burn" through (maybe corrosion) and start working or was this a fluke and there is another issue.
    Steve

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I think the motor warmed up and over came the resistance, from something in the motor or what it drives.

3. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

It's called welding :p

There is a chance some surface had corrosion on it, and leaving it on for a bit helped arc through it.

4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

^ with no filler materiel the gap widens.

but its also possible for the plug to start to melt, then by chance the wires come together.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Can be bearings seezing up. And the constant force on them finally got them to work

6. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

This and another comment regarding the motor being tied up would cause the motor to burn up or a fuse/breaker opening up. Think of a dead short that is what happens to a DC motor held still.

I would guess that you have a connection that is open...but close to being closed. Like corrosion in a connection. This to is not a good thing as it limits the power supply to the motor. Clean all your connections and check your wires.

I bet you find the problem.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

This and another comment regarding the motor being tied up would cause the motor to burn up or a fuse/breaker opening up

Not always the case. If the amps aren't pulling more than the fuse....won't blow.
    Unless more testing is done, still can't rule this out.

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Your assumption of a fuse even being used , the amperage of said fuse or the resistance is not enough to heat up the fuse and blow it.

this probably enplanes the burnt connector???

Ive seen energized motors sit there for quite some time before they tripped the breaker or let the smoke out before...

9. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

Most 12 volt motors have brushes that conduct electricity to the rotor (spinning part of the motor). Many times the brushes wear down to the point there is no brush left or there isn't enough spring pressure to keep the brush in contact. Sometime the surface of the rotor gets enough corrosion the brush doesn't make contact. In some instances it just takes some vibration or a shock to get the brush to make initial contact and then once spinning it continues to work.
    Try smacking the motor with a hammer and see if that starts it.