1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

can ballast cause abnormal tire wear

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bobingardner, May 21, 2005.

1. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

The front tires on my silverado have more wear on the outer edge than the inner edge. Could this be due to the 400lb of ballast I carried around all winter?

2. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

It could have something to do with it. Also check to make sure that your tires are inflated properly. If they are underinflated they will wear more on the outside then the center. A good way to check is to take a piece of chalk and draw a line across the tire. Then drive a short distance and check the chalk line on the tire. If there is more chalk on the center the the outer edges, the tires are under inflated, vise versa if the tires are over inflated.

William

3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

How many miles are on them and have you rotated them. Alot of times abnormal wear is caused from lack of rotation.

4. bobingardner

Thanks william and festerw. I checked the tire pressure and it's in spec. They have 20,000 miles on them and haven't been rotated yet. It's on my list of things to do on a weekend but rain free weekends have been rare this spring. I'll bump it to the top of the list and hopefully get to it next Saturday.

5. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i would bet my money you cranked up the tosion bars to carry the plow but when the plow is off the front end is higher then factory and that will toe the bottom of your tires in so you probably need a alignment

6. bobingardner

That's possible Karl. The dealer installed the plow and may have adjusted the torsion bars. It's going back to the dealer at the end of the month to fix a dent I put in the bed by backing into my neighbor's house. I'll mention it to the mechanic. Thanks.

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

One other thing is run the maximum amount of psi (your tire rateing, not the door jamb spec) in your tires. It rides stiffer but I allways do it in the winter. I do have an Ultra mount so the plow is allways off, cept for plowing :rolleyes: My truck specs 60 front 70 rear, Winter I run 75 front ( no bulge with plow on) 75 rear. The tires are load range e and rated up too 80 psi. I have great success with even tire wear. I do rotate my tires about 7500 to 12000 miles. I rack up aboyt 26000 a year so that is why I am not allways consistent on the rotations.
    Todd

8. bobingardner

Todd, is that just during the winter or do you keep those numbers through the summer? I don't know what the load range is but the door says 35PSI cold and the tire says 44PSI max. Your saying I'd be better off getting closer to 44?

9. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

yes todd is right you should increase to about 40psi but that is only in the winter while plowing but tire wear is not causing your outer tires to wear. if they are underinflated both the sides of the tire will wear more then the center

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If you went 20K miles with no rotations that is a problem and is causing the uneven wear- ask any tire shop.
    Also you should have th front end aligned with the plowing ballast in the back for winter use and re- algined unloaded for the summer. The ballast changes the weight loading and therefore the suspension angles.

The plow is removed for vastly longer than it is on so it's not an issue, but if the ballast is in the back all the time it is an issue.