1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone suggest what kind of truck and plow set up is good for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Rodrig26, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Rodrig26

Rodrig26 Junior Member

I am new to the plowing business and I am looking for suggestions on what type of equipment to buy. I am keeping my focus on residential drives and a few small commercial lots. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Ford F250 with a Boss V plow:)

3. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Can't go wrong with this combination!

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Unless you are a beginner in a really small drive. While a F250 with a Boss vee is a great snow mover, I'd consider a Jeep or short wheel base truck with a 7"6" OR 8 FT straight blade. Snoway's down pressure feature is great for back dragging if you are doing a lot of drives where you have to back drag garage doors.

As you grow you can add that full size pickup with a Vee to the fleet:D

Welcome to plowsite:waving:

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree that a small pickup/jeep is the way to go for a beginner. And get an automatic.

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If you want a 3/4 ton I would suggest a Chevy or GMC 2500HD with an 8' Fisher HD 8' Boss Trip Edge. But if you want a 1/2 ton I would suggest a Toyota Tundra with a 7.5' Fisher SD or a Chevy or GMC 1500 with a 7.5' Fisher HD or a 7.5' Boss Trip Edge.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Anyone can plow with a small jeep in the driveway,you need a big plow truck, makes the overkill much better looking!

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Plus you get all the landscape repair work in the springpayup

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Definately get an Auto trans. An F-150 with a 71/2" blade is a good truck to start with JMO
    Make sure you have a good plow dealer close by for parts and service.

10. Rodrig26

Rodrig26 Junior Member

Thank you all for the advice. I was actually looking at a new F250 with a western v-plow.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't buy a new truck for plowing, especially if you are new at it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  12. Rodrig26

Rodrig26 Junior Member

I was thinking new so I wouldn't have any maintenance issues upfront. So used would be my better option? I have been searching up and down for something half-way decent and I have found nothing. If anyone sees any good leads on a decent truck please let me know.

13. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

:cry:..

14. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Just don't hit any bumps fast cuz it can go off square, and costs $$$ to fix

15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

There should be a bunch of used trucks around now that snow season is over.
    Check craigslist or ebay

16. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

08 ford f450 king ranch with a boss 9'2 vxt and snow ex 8500!payup:nod:

17. Nick Estes

Nick Estes Member

18. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

Buy a great running used truck with atleast a 7 1/2 ft plow on there and you will be good. Dealer support is a must when it comes to repairs and such. Good luck with the new business venture !!!!