1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone remember it being this bad????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snow Picasso, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Just curious if anyone thats been in the business for a long time can remember a winter that started off so bad!!! What happened the 2nd half??? What was the summer like??? :help:

2. makplow

makplow Senior Member

Back around the mid 80`s we didn`t have any plowable snow here. This kid that was working for me at the time framing houses, bought a brand new dodge, and plow for it. We all felt bad for him, but we still razzed the S#*# out of him anyway!!! :jester:

3. nekos

nekos Senior Member

this is typical chicago weather.
    im going to pack the plow away tomorrow and get an early start for spring.
    were expecting warm weather for the next 2 week's. by then it will be the end of the snow season for us in chicago. :(

< edit >
    the late 90's were like this in chicago.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  4. dbdrgr150

dbdrgr150 Member

well it looks like i am the kid that bought the new dodge and put a plow on it... i just picked it up dec 19th which was like the day after our last snow

5. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Two words

Season Contract

6. GSE

GSE Senior Member

Amen to that! payup

7. dmc337

dmc337 Junior Member

What he just said!

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Boy, you guys have short memories. Weather is in 7 year cycles in the short term.

9. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

what he said, i'll just keep fishing.:waving:

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes thier have been winters worse then this. This business is based on weather, everyone is so worried about the little amount of snow that has fallen so far this year. Complaining or worring about it is'nt going to help the snow fall...Get Over It, or get everything on contract so you don't have to worry. :rolleyes:

11. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I am glad I decided not to buy a snowmobile and save my money instead.

12. sam c

sam c Member

The winter of 03/04 here in sothern Nh. I put the plow on three times. Anyone who looks at plowing for the short term (less than 5 years) is asking for trouble:nono:

13. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

seasonal contracts payup payup

14. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

no snow and still a slamming business, seasonal contracts are the way to go .This year we are 55 % above last years sales and we had no snow in Illinois...so keep it in mind for next years bidding !!!! Also this was the first year we pushed for 3 year contracts so it will balance it self out in the end...90 % of our business signed the 3 year contracts the others are mostly residential so you know how they are per push .But for the members that are having a hard time making ends meet this year should consider 1,2,3, year contracts for next season ..just a thought .I too felt noway would my customers sign a 3 year contract but they all said they have other things to worry about than who plows the lots every year . so in 3 years i will have them as a customer again !!!! payup payup

15. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

the year I get into plowing and some how little snow. But I dont really care, we have all of feb. I bet that in feb we get around 8 pushes in! $$$

16. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

ONE CAN ONLY HOPE !!!!payup payup

17. BRAAAP

BRAAAP Senior Member

New plow and new sled:cry: maybe next year. At least i can still cut firewood

18. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I want to apologize to everyone because the lack of snow is my fault. You see, I bought a new truck and plow right before this winter. Had I not done so, it would be snowing every week!

19. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

I too appologize for the lack of snow. You see... it was 4-5 days after our last plowable event that I made sure my truck was 100% ready for a storm that was predicted for the next day. I even went so far as to put extra socks in it, packed my lunch for the next day, the whole bit... I scared that storm away and I have kept my truck almost as geared up as it was that day and it hasn't snow since. MY bad! :blush2:

20. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

In 1994 we had 3" of slush in one event, the rest of that winter all it did wad rain!