1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone offer Head to Head comparison of these?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by k1768, Jan 25, 2014.

1. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Looking to upgrade from my magnetic rotatory halogen beacon to a perm mount LED. I hate having the magnetic on my paint.

Currently the Able 2 Low Profile Mini & Whelen Mini Century are at the top of my list. I want a lower profile mini style bar, which will be mounted to my Backrack, going on a Ram 2500, this will be the only source of warning lights. I do not have or want additional lights. Patterns are not a big concern for me, ideally I'd have it set to a random pattern if it was available.

Big question I have is why is the big name, USA Made, Whelen with a 5 year warranty ~$80 cheaper than the Able 2 (I see now it also have 5 yr warranty)? And does anyone have any first hand comparison of these two?

Thanks
    Kevin

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  2. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

Both are very good bars, super popular, and bright. However the Able 2 have been around a while and the Whelen uses much newer technology. The Whelen is their economy bar but none the less much nicer and brighter than many companies first line bars.

3. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Newer technology of the Whelen mean either brighter output or lower draw? Any other significant differences between the two?

I'm also beginning to rethink the permanent mount. May go with magnetic, still on mounting plate on backrack but this way I can quickly remove if needed, and the magnets would also raise the height slightly.

Would it be possible to order either one with both mounting options?

4. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  5. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Impressive video but not really looking for a rotator.

6. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

The Axixtech bar on strobes n more ($224) and the SNM Mini Bar are both VERY bright also.

7. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Went with the Whelen. Contributing factors were US Made, price point, and 5 year warranty. Got it mounted today. Not sure if it's as bright during the day as my old halogen rotary, but seems sufficient enough.

8. Cond Enterprise

Cond Enterprise Member

Pics or video would be nice!Thumbs Up

9. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Whelen Mini Century 16"

whelen_mc.jpg

10. Cond Enterprise

Cond Enterprise Member

Looks go to me, its not a halogen strobe but it looks plenty bright enough! Nice looking rig there, wish my truck looked that clean....black shows everything, but hey everybody knows they push the most snow so it's a fair trade offxysport

11. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Trust me truck is now where near that clean after doing battle. I try to get through the truck wash after each event.

12. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

After using it in both daytime and night time conditions I have to say that I think my old Ecco halogen rotator had a brighter output. I'm saying this based on the light bounce off of trees/buildings was more noticeable with the halogen vs new LED.

I do love having a switch instead of needing to plugin/unplug it every time though. Amazing how such a minor thing makes such an improved experience after a while.