1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can angling cylinders be refurbished?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by eriklane, Jan 14, 2011.

1. eriklane

eriklane Member

I received a truck with a plow that had sat 7 yrs, the cylinders were pitted with some rust, not horrendous, but not new. I did clean all the rust off with light sanding and re-lubed them all. I did not take the cyls apart to check or replace the seals.

1) Is it possible to replace the seals?
    2) With the rust off, I'd think the seals, if not damaged, would be ok. Is there anything I can do to 'fix' the spots that don't have chrome or isn't it worth doing?

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Those cylinders are no different than any others,so yes they are rebuildable.As long as you have all the rust off the rods[fully extended],lube up the rod and seal area and try them out.Iv'e had old construction iron sit around for longer than 7 years and the cylinders were just fine after some clean up.The worst that can happen is you might have a small leaker.

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Are you talking about stripping and re-plating the rods? I've seen some larger heavy equipment shops (mainly in the SW US) that have entire shops dedicated to rebuilding hydraulic cylinders. That might be worth investigating, but I'm willing to bet that replacement cylinders will be more economical.

4. eriklane

eriklane Member

E-47 chrome

Is there a liquid chrome that you can dab onto bad spots?

5. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I think anything you try to fill the holes with would flake off and cause problems. Usually if you sand them down good there wont be any high spots to tear up the seal and any small pits will just fill with a tiny bit of oil when retracted so you'd have a slow leak. Check prices on new cylinders from Angelo's or CPW, I think they're only around $60

6. redbug2

redbug2 Junior Member
    from PA

I've read on the net where people cleaned the cylinders up and then soldered the pits and sanded them smooth.

My cylinders were rusty. I cleaned them up and they did have a few pits. I just used them. I see a slight bit of oil near the ends of the cylinders but nothing major. I would just use them unless they are squirting out oil.

Also, the $60 replacements mentioned by Bashby seems very reasonable.

7. eriklane

eriklane Member

cylinder repair

Agreed on all points. I will monitor mine closely, keeping them as smooth as possible...who knows, maybe a little primer or anything that grabs to clean metal would hold, It's just clearing a soft rubber seal, it doesnt' have to hold up much...Will also check my seals, which I have not done. After sitting 7 yrs, who knows?
    And yes, I found a decent used one on Craigslist near me for $35...

Thanks guys.

8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Get a new set and clean up and rebuild your old ones for spares.

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Eriklane--I should have mentioned that I have some chrome missing on my lift cylinders on my JD dozer for many years now.One doesn't leak,the other is just a little oily at times.I would just run them and see what happens.

10. eriklane

eriklane Member

Cylinders

Agreed, with MI snows usually amounting to about 6 plow events per winter, shouldn't be a problem. Can I purchase new seals?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011