1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can an unmodified F350 dually plow w/o problems?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by afinepoint, Dec 6, 2005.

1. afinepoint

afinepoint Junior Member
    from East

Just a few quick questions. Sorry but I am at work so I don't have time for a detailed search.

Here it is: I have a 2001 F350 7.3L CC 8' bed dually with auto transmission. It does not have the factory snowplow option as best I can tell and the transmission cooler looks standard. Can this truck do light/non commercial plowing without damage to the vehicle?

If so is the modification to the front end something I could do or best left to a shop? What hydraulics and plow would you guys NOT use? I'm in VA so the winters are usually mild with just a few substantial snowfalls.

Thanks.

Reg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Although plow manufacturers might advice against it, especially with a diesel (front end weight) There are plenty of people around here who do so with that truck.

3. afinepoint

afinepoint Junior Member
    from East

What are we looking at in terms of investment of time and money to make it "plow worthy". Can it be done? Worth it considering where I live? Is the diesel engine that big of a disadvantage?

Again thanks.

Reg

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: HUmmmm.. have you even looked at the ford forum?
    It takes just as much time, or probably less to read them, than to type a Q.

BUT hey! welcome to plow-site!!:waving:

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Before you even consider if your veheicle will handle it talk to your insurance man and be up front with him about what you want to do.

6. afinepoint

afinepoint Junior Member
    from East

Insurance check - good idea. The truck is already registered and insured as a business vehicle, but not plowing. Forgot to mention it has a 4.10 rear.

Reg

7. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Nothing NEEDS to be done aside from adding a plow and a roof strobe. You might want to think about adding timbrens, etc... in the front. My boss just put on on the same truck, maybe a year or two newer.

Dealers, manufacturers can be picky about saying you need this and this and your axle isn't strong enough, but they generally being over cautious.

8. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Depending who you sub for, that insurance should be fine. That's all I have. It will cover you should you damage property. (make sure you notify them, or they can drop your coverage in an accident during transport with plow)

However, if you plan to be on your own you will need further insurance like slip and fall

9. afinepoint

afinepoint Junior Member
    from East

It's a home repair business - licensed and insured and in my name as owner. The insurance may already cover most of the necessary liability, etc for plowing considering the type of business. I will however ask, especially about slip and fall.

Reg

10. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I have 3 of them all with PSD's without plow prep package and they have been doing just fine. Just watch the transmition tempature as the cooler is not adiquate to keep it cool when plowing in high range for an extended time or under a hard load.

11. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Like Dwan said you will have no problem pushing snow with that truck. The only problem that you will have which you are aware of already is when it comes to turning around. Stick the plow 3 feet further out front and that truck gets REALLY long. Check out these pictures of my truck out last year plowing.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=22670
    Oh yeah where in VA are you located?

12. afinepoint

afinepoint Junior Member
    from East

Thanks Dwan. Nice to hear a good testimonial.

Mow, I know what you mean about truck length. It never ceases to amaze me how people think I can manuever this truck like a volkswagon when in a crowded parking lot. During the holiday season I feel like an aircraft carrier surrounded by speed boats. :D

I'll contact the insurance company. Now I need to studying up on plows, mounts, hydraulic units, lights etc. If I pursue this I'll also upgrade the transmission cooler.

Thanks,

Reg

P.S. I live in Richmond. Snow is due here the end of the week. :eek:

13. MOW ME OVER

Did you get much snow down there yesterday on the roads???

14. afinepoint

afinepoint Junior Member
    from East

A few inches by evening. The VDOT plows were out in force. The roads were in good shape during the heavy snowfall and clear by morning.

I would like to be able to plow the cul-de-sacs where they don't like to go and driveways where they of course won't go.

Here's one: How do you clear a short driveway that ends at a garage (door)?

Reg

15. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Open the door, push snow inside and close door and let it melt.

16. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

Youll Be Able To Plow A House Down With Or Without A Plow Prep Pack You Have A Tow Pack So You Have Plenty Of Cooling For The Tranny And Engine

17. afinepoint

afinepoint Junior Member
    from East

I like it. Probably works better if the owners are away.

Reg

18. afinepoint

afinepoint Junior Member
    from East

It would seem to me that overloading the front axle is a concern when the plow is in the air and thus being supported by the front end. Minimizing the time it is on the truck should greatly extend suspension life.

Other than if you hit something where is the wear on the truck's front when the plow is on the ground pushing snow?

Reg

19. afinepoint

afinepoint Junior Member
    from East

State Farm has given the green light. All is covered by current policy.

Reg

Hey think it's too late to ask for a plow for my birthday? It's tomorrow. :D

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  20. MOW ME OVER

A fine point

Did State Farm say they would cover the truck or anything else if you hit it when plowing. Last year when I was looking to get my plow insurance State Farm who I already had my commercial truck insurance with told me that they would only cover my truck and plow if I was hit or hit something when in transit, not if the blade was down. They would also cover the plow if it was stolen off of the truck or my shop. I ended up having to switch insurance companies so I could get plow insurance on my commercial truck coverage along with GL for my business.

You might want to clearify with them and make sure they will cover you if the blade is down and scraping.