1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can an ATV push.......

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Ipushsnow, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

a sidewalk full of heavy, wet snow pushed on it by a city plow? I know it all varies, but lets say a 4x4 500cc atv like a Arctic Cat, Honda or Polaris. I have been strongly considering adding one to the fleet and ran into a friend that I knew used one for a years. He said, "skip it, they work great 80% of the time, but if the snow is wet they suck. Get a good 2 stage snow blower and be done with it." I know his was a larger (500-700cc) machine.

This kind of shocked me. I thought the torque these machines have is incredible, and they would eat through snow like that. So any truth to what he said?

2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

i dont have a problem with heavy snow with my 2000 arctic cat 500 4x4. i would highly recommend one.

3. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

It's the traction, not the torque, that's the problem.

4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

my quad can pull my 6klb boat without an issue because I move my boat all around camp with it. what you want is a heavy quad like mine or the other member on here with the military polaris atv.. the more weight and the bigger the cc the better. my quad weighs a little less then 800lbs without the plow. with the plow on and up it weighs in at about probably 900lbs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  5. leroycool

leroycool Junior Member

i would say a quad moves snow much better than a snow blower ( i will never go back )

+1 quad

i have a 300 honda and there has been nothing ( yet ) than i cant push

6. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

Go with the ATV, the snow blowers are slow and they dont do well in heavy WET snow.

Ours is a polaris 600. The pic right below this... I got off the quad to take the picture (keep in mind this is heavy snow) .... when I got back on it, it pushed this pile from a dead stop with ease!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Blowers and wet snow are not a good combination. We used to run an atv for sidewalks but the wind was just too much. We have since gone to an asv tracked machine with a modified blade.

8. Outty330

Outty330 Member

I run a 2004 Bombardier (Can Am)Outlander 330 and have had no problems pushing snow. I live in upstate NY and we get clobbered with lake effect and so far there has been nothing I was unable to push.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  9. banksl&s

banksl&s Member

500cc Arctic Cat and a 60" Moose plow and no problems here. The only thing you might run into is after the pile "freezes" you won't be able to move it. Stay on top of things and you shouldn't have a problem.

10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Even with new tires the one I run struggles really bad in the deep snow. Honda 650 with a 60" blade. It is awesome for lighter snow though.

11. shtuk

shtuk Member

more than half of the snow i plow has been "missplaced" by city crews. there is no snowbank or furrow that my AC 500TRV cant move. I have added around 100lbs of weight, 50 on blade- 50 on rear of quad, which has improved my scraping capability.

12. nhgranite

nhgranite Senior Member
    from N.H

my v-twin 650 prairie worked better than my 700 single king quad motor wise. depends on how deep that heavy wet snow is and the surface your working with. an aired down a/t tire works best aswell.

13. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

I would say a V blade would be the best.
    you set it in the V positions and just push the snow off to both sides'.

with straight blades angled you get plow steer and your leading edge will bite into the hard pack snow from the street more and knock you off the sidewalk.

With the V you just push straight through the snow.

yes it might take more work in the bigger snow falls' but in the smaller ones you can fly.

for the bigger snow falls it would take the same about of time as a snow blower but in the smaller ones it would only take 1/2 to 1/4 the amount of time.
    problems due occur though if you don't push the snow back far enough at the start of the year.

just my thoughts.

sublime out

14. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

I second what he's saying about it taking the same amount of time as a snowblower would in the big (12"+) snowfalls but in the smaller ones it blows through what a single stage blower would not be able to handle and a dual stage would be to slow at doing! Plus snow blower widths are what... up to 36" if you wanna drop $2500 on one. The ATV will be good with a 54" if your doing sidewalks.

15. ATV Plow King

ATV Plow King Senior Member

I'v never had a problem with mine and iv been plowing for the past two years,
    and have encountered some pretty wet deep snow and still pushes with ease.

16. Badgerland WI

Badgerland WI Senior Member

Very good point. wesport

This is one of the reasons that some folks have switched from ATV's to UTV Mini Trucks instead. It's not that a decent displacement ATV can't push the snow, its more often that enough traction cannot be obtained. Mini trucks weigh-in at 1500 lbs with an average 1200 lb payload (I've used as little as 150 lbs in the bed when plowing in heavier snowfalls).

Just something else to ponder...

17. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

I have to agree with the weight thing. I havent found a damn thing our foreman wont pull in gear 1 (hondas have no low range gear 1 is just retardedly low) IF i have traction. This includes a 5x8 piled down with 5000lb of asphalt. My buddy had an arctic cat like Eatmytailpipes, but his was only a 300, and he pulled a dump trailer with it that was half full. Definitely not the torque, its the traction. What somebody needs to do is figure out how to fit the polaris front locking diff in a honda foreman. A good rule of thumb is if a foreman wont pull it it wasnt meant to move lol.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  18. mikeyd915

mikeyd915 Junior Member

Bigger the better. Go with a 500+ 4x4. I went with the polaris sportsman 800. Research the brand. Some don't have true 4 wheel drive. Some are really only 3 wheel drive.

Pics from 6-18-14 022.JPG

19. glngib

glngib Junior Member

Add some weight and good tires makes a difference.

20. jpell

jpell Senior Member

I have a Polaris Sportsman 800 4x4 and have never had an issue moving snow, scraping, or pushing around what the city tosses on our sidewalks.
    +1 for an ATV