1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can a plow be too wide?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JMHConstruction, Oct 10, 2016.

1. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

After the long debacle of getting a plow for the half ton, then getting a 3/4 ton, and looking for a different heavier duty plow for that I finally picked up a meyer c8.5. Not ideal, but I just need it to get me through a couple years. Anyway, the plow is a straight blade and wide enough for the truck as is. However, I was considering adding wings for the added benefit of, well, having wings. My question/worry is, will the plow be so wide it will be a nuisance. Is this something that gets in the way? I'm not really worried about fitting into places I'm plowing, more just getting around. I get that wider is better for plowing and the added length will make for faster plowing, but what about when the plow is not on the ground.

I thought I'd get the opinions of you guys who have been doing this for a while. The only experience behind a plow I have is with a 8' (I think) western and my uncles 8' boss v that I could close.

Thanks guys, and if this is in the wrong section please move.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

First issue is transporting plow. Some states require permit for anything over 102". Also some roads tend to get a little narrow during storms which could make oncoming traffic a bit cringe worthy. Depending on your setup you may find the trailing edge will drag at full angle when raised.

3. JMHConstruction

I'll have to look into the city/state laws, I hadn't even thought about that. The edge dragging is a good point, the truck is a 2500ld, so it does sit a little lower to the ground. What I'm thinking is using the plow as is for at least a storm or two and seeing how it does and rides. It will also get me used to driving with a plow on the front. I'll measure the clearance of the plow edge, but since it doesn't sit as high as the Fords, or even the HD Chevys I'm guessing it would drag.

4. kimber750

Do you have the plow mounted? Which pump do you have? What style Meyer mount? Another issue you may run into is not being to push a larger plow. Traction may become an issue with a larger plow and heavy snow.

5. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

I have a Meyer Super V2, before that when I was plowing for another outfit all his trucks has Meyer plows on them. From my experience the Meyers tend to run a little lower than some of the other brands. Never really had any issues however never ran a Meyer with wings. I would tend to think that at full angle for transporting the wing would probably drag but it's probably going to be dependent on the individual truck. On another note most the Meyer plows need to have the center of the truck side Clevis between 11.5" and 12". So to achieve proper attack angle you may need to do a leveling kit up front to achieve the proper height. I had to on my 3/4 ton Ram.

6. kimber750

That really depends on which mount he has.

7. JMHConstruction

E47 pump ez classic mount.

It is not mounted yet, mount is being shipped.

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Bank drive up lanes... 9ft with wings don't fit even in full angle... It will lead with the front wing, and just rip the back one right off...

I know a guy.... :confused::rolleyes::laugh:

JustJeff likes this.
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

There is a lot more in life than plowing banks.
    ( you know a bank)(that place you were just posting aboot)

I started with an 8ft plow, i than added wings that made it 10ft wide.
    My productivity level went up to the point i had the time to add more customers.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  10. Philbilly2

Although I no idea what that means... I am going to have to go with it and agree...

11. kimber750

:eek: E47 with a C8.5, gonna be sooooooooooooooooooo slow. I would start looking for a E60 or E57

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

really, i know its early in the day, but.
    i guess you were up late posting last night.

as for the over width permit .
    in my area its for any plow over 10ft wide and it costs less than $50.
    i have never heard of anyone getting a permit or being ticketed.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  13. Philbilly2

The thread is about can a plow be to wide... right? In a bank drive up, an 11ft wide plow is too wide...

Yeah.... still have no idea what you are talking about. Asleep in my chair by 7pm CST... :confused:

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You sure are stuck in the bank tellers lane, it may be time to pull it out.

I know of places that are to narrow for a 6ft plow, now what?

you posted a post, and someone posted another one,
    that's kind of how this works.
    if you dont get it, well that's on you
    see my Sig-line

15. Philbilly2

Another issue can be show wide is your garage or shop door?

Old shop only had a 10 ft wide door. Going in and out with a wide plow can eventually lead to tagging the weatherstrip or trim.

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

what plow do you have that is over 10ft wide?^

we swing our plows to one side then get the corner of the blade inside the door
    and then pull up close to that side of the door.
    then we straiten the plow so the other side clears the door.
    then turn the wheel and drive right in.

with our 10ft Ve plow going into the 9ft door we just put it in scoop and drive in.

i've gotten 13ft snow-cat blades into a 10ft door.
    we were fined if we clipped the door.

its not that great of a feat.

just say'en. its not really an issue for a competent operator.

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Can a plow be too big is like asking if there's too mulch mag capacity in a mini gun or if 36E's are too big for a 125# woman.....
    Adding wings gives the option of being 8.5 or 10.5 wide and it's just a matter of 3 hitch pins per wing (Buyers ProWings) to configure how you want. Don't fret over the width going done the road you're in Kanasas, just make sure you angle the plow to the stops. If your mount is at the proper height the plow shouldn't drag the ground.
    Since you're in Kansas and don't get huge storms you're Chebby should be able to push anything you encounter if you struggle pull the wings off or toss more weight in the bed.
    The E47 will be slow/slower but you can double stack "2" 1.21gigawatt flux capacitors to over come that, you may want to run a heat exchanger/ka ka kooler to keep the earl ka ka kool though...
    Or keep an eyeoot for a E-58 or E-60 on C-list.

18. Philbilly2

OK, you just proved my point... You have to pay attention when going threw a small door with a wide plow...

Boy... you got it out for me today!!!

OP is asking for things that are a nuisance with a wide plow while not plowing. Never said anything about a plow wider than 10ft... simply stated that carrying wide plow threw a 10ft door can lead to side of door being tagged if they are not as good of an operator as you...

I am simply giving input on things that are a nuisance with carrying a wide plow... that is all...

ktfbgb likes this.
  19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Any width of plow can be a nuance.
    Tust as driving a quad-cab, long box 4x4 or towing a trailer can be compared to a
    minne-cooper.

ps, lol, but it was/is you whom is acting the :terribletowel:today.
    you started it in post #10 of this thread.:waving:

an old say'en, the nail that sticks up gets pounded down.:hammerhead:

20. JMHConstruction

Thanks guys. I watched a video this morning of a guy taking them on and off. It looked pretty quick. I may get a set, and take them off while driving if it's a pain to get around. As far as the pump, it's what was on the ST plow I got earlier. I would like to find an extra pump anyway (this one is pretty rough), so I'll keep an eye out for a better one. I'm not too worried about speed of the pump right now. It's been about 5 years since I even touched a plow, and have used one about 8 times. I don't think it's the pump that's going to be my biggest slow down. Like Buzz said, I live in Kansas. Most of our storms are 3-5" or less. I don't think pushing will be a problem.

Is there a difference in the Buyer wings and S.A.M. wings? I heard they're basically the same company.