1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

can a guy buy unimount pumps and wiring harnesses anywhere?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by GSS LLC, Oct 9, 2012.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

i have aquired some cable operated plows, and want to put unimount pumps on them to ditch the cables. anywhere a guy can get the wiring and pumps for them still?

2. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

As far as the pumps go, I would try storks auto, a vendor here, they have lots of refurbished units. You can still get new ones, but they are expensive$$$

3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

cool. what are a guys options for wiring harnesses?

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

actually, right at the end of the conventional plows there was an option for an electronic controlled power unit in lieu of cable. the power unit was the same as what they later used on the unimount straight plows. here's a link to the owners manual that shows the parts and diagrams and stuff:
    http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/13523_080192.pdf
    so, like Jim said the power unit (49253) would be expensive, $1900 approx new.
    The harness is a 56307 which is still avail and current list is $131.23. you'll notice the oddball part number on the control (56285). that is because it had a big black plug on it instead of the newer white plastic plug. if you already have unimount controls you can use a 62392 adapter to go from the white plug to the big black plug on this harness.
    We have a couple of the harnesses and one adapter in stock that I could do a clearance price on if you find a rebuilt power unit and want to go ahead with this. thanks!

5. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

hey, i am in. I will be in des moines friday or sunday. pmed you...

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

awesome, thanks. I msg'd you back.

7. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Storks will rebuild yours ... or I should say "re-seal" yours for about $400. THey don't supply new pumps, pistons, motor or other parts with that price, but they do sell refurbushed units for about $900

Try craigslist, as I just found one for $200 in really good shape. I rebuild them myself, and it's something that anyone can do who has basic mechanical experience, if you don't skimp on parts.

I get my parts from here as the overhaul kit is about $125 plus any other parts you need to make it happen. WHen I rebuild them, I replace the pump ($142), the motor ($89), solenoids (3 @ $13) and the ram ($61) and fill it with new WESTERN OIL. Never had an issue with it by doing it this way, and for about $500 you have a completely new unit, VS Storks "re-seal kit" that they do for you.

Should take about 2.5 hours to rebuild one, including cleaning, but make sure you pay attention to the torque specs for the solenoids, valves, and pre-load required on the cushion valves, otherwise, all your money is / will be wasted.

http://store.discountsnowplowparts.com/POWER-PACK-PARTS-WESTERN-SNOW-PLOW.HTM

8. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

i just need to find the unimount power units. i have cable controlled units now, for 900 and a wiring harness thats still not bad.

9. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

That price for just the pump was about 2 years ago, when I called them. Best to call them yourself to get the most up to date pricing. They will charge you extra for a core, so be prepared.

10. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Try plowparts.com

11. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

My friend told me he got two of them I don't were your located but if your interested maybe we can see how much shipping is and if you wanna buy it ill ask him how much and let you know. I'm gonna buy one of them for myself so I have spare in case.

12. bigstumpyd

bigstumpyd Junior Member

I am looking into doing this same exact thing? How is it going for you? This is my back up truck but think the conversion would be great. Pretty new at this any help would be appreciated! I thought about just buying a used plow and robbing the parts instead of piece by piece?