1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

can a 2001 f150 handle a plow?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 992door, Jan 1, 2013.

1. 992door

992door Junior Member
    from NC

We have a regular cab long bed f150 2wd. Found a 7.5 ft diamond snow plow online for cheap. Will the truck be able to handle it? It looks heavy as crap.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You need 4x4 to plow without a doubt. Your just going to get stuck and frustrated!

3. 992door

992door Junior Member
    from NC

See I was told the opposite buy a couple of people I know that live in Michigan. They run mostly 2wd with weight in the bed. And when we get snow here it is not much. At the most like 8 inches of snow

4. MickiRig1

You really need 4x4. Your just asking for trouble if you don't have it. A dump truck can kinda get away with it. But you have a lot of weight and they stay on level ground and plow roads.

5. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

no way jose

6. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

Sure! Why not?? It's NC......... Crazy sh*t happens in the south!! :laughing:

7. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Nope. Need 4x4

8. 992door

992door Junior Member
    from NC

Yea that is kinda what I figured. Just out of curiosity how much does it weight? If anyone knows. I have not gone a picked it up yet

9. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Are you looking to plow commercially or just for yourself? With a lightweight homeowner plow (Snowsport, Snowbear, etc), tire chains, and lots of weight in the bed, you could move some snow...though you might want to plow when there's only a couple inches instead of waiting for a big storm to finish. Everybody on this forum always brags about how they never engage 4WD, after all.

I'm pretty sure that Diamond will be far too heavy for your truck, though.

10. 992door

992door Junior Member
    from NC

Well I work for a landscaping company and boss wanted to buy a snow plow instead of loading up the bobcat. But it hardly ever snows here so it will hardly ever get used. It would be for to plow a couple of customers lots. It was only 600 for everything

11. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

The advantage of living down south is that it hardly ever snows. And generally speaking, when it does, it's pretty insignificant. That said, you might be able to get away with it. But realistically speaking, almost all of us use in the north 4x4 trucks when we plow. Sure, we don't always use 4 wheel drive, but you really need it when you get into trouble. (And that happens all the time!)

One word of caution. If you do get a significant dump of 4"-6" or more, you will never move it with a 2wd truck. That's because the ground will be warm and the snow will start melting almost immediately. It's hard enough for those of us with experience and the right equipment to move snow that's more like concrete. Your Bobcat will be the only thing that will have a chance.

12. daman

daman Member

Not going to work nope,even with 1000lbs in the back that thing would be useless,and who in MI is plowing mostly with 2wd's? no one i know lol.

13. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Get a attachment plate and fab that thing up to go on the bobcat and never look back.

14. MickiRig1

I might do a few passes till I realize I am not in 4WD. But why stress. Just engage extra axle and getter done!

15. 992door

992door Junior Member
    from NC

This thing is heavy as crap.

16. 992door

992door Junior Member
    from NC

Ok convince my boss that it is not going to happen what would be a good vehicle? would a 2500 94 suburban 4wd work? If not what looking older vehicle

17. daman

daman Member

A burb would work great because of its weight, BUT visibility and awkwardness will come to play when in smaller lots/drives, also,field of vision will be hampered.

18. MickiRig1

The perfect plow trucks are Auto Transmission 4x4 F250 OR F350'S regular cab and bed. If you need to plow snow, it's the same over all the world. Short and you can see is good.

19. 992door

992door Junior Member
    from NC

20. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Don't buy another persons play toy. That truck has big tires and suspension stuffed into it. It's been beaten. You're buying another person's headache.