1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

can a 1991 Nissan 4x4 pickup plow?

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by dozer55, Aug 1, 2012.

1. dozer55

dozer55 Junior Member

Looking at a 1991 Nissan 4x4 pickup for snow plowing two driveways. truck is in good shape but I am thinking its might be to small. anyone have any experience with this truck? or a truck of this size

2. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

tons of people use jeeps, nissan will be just fine for 2 driveways, even four wheelers can plow drives.

3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

I was running an '88 Nissan pickup for plowing up to 2009 (rust finally got the better of its frame). It is a very capable vehicle. Don't go with too wide of a plow for it, 6.5' is proper. After using that truck up, switched to a '91 YJ -- absolutely TERRIBLE. Not half as capable as the Nissan.

I clear a 3 km bush road, and only access it on weekends. Only once since 1990 was I unable to get through, due to 4 foot deep snow drifts, had to break out the front end loader.

4. tuna

tuna Senior Member

any 4x4 can plow

5. jasonv

from kannada

That's a little bit of an exaggeration. NOT ANY. Maybe most. There are certainly a lot that will do a terrible job and/or die a quick and painful death. For example, I would definitely NOT put a plow on any unibody (even if you can buy a plow for one).

6. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

That single cam KA24E engine got lots of torque and will run for ever if taken care of, only down side to all Nissan is RUST.

7. blk90s13

Chevy tracker ? :laughing:

8. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

9. blk90s13

10. jasonv

from kannada

I wouldn't laugh too hard, those actually had full length fully boxed frames. Traction would be a serious problem, as would the front suspension supporting the weight of anything but the lightest plow, but the vehicle itself would take it.

BTW: "chevy tracker" was just a badge job, they were actually Suzuki Vitara. The new ones now are unibody, unfortunately.