1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can 9pin harness be connected to 12pin?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by phuloi68, Jan 14, 2010.

1. phuloi68

phuloi68 Junior Member

:confused:
    I never like to ask for help but this time I have to. I have a Western Unimount plow light problem that I cannot figure out. Truck headlights work but can't get plow lights to work.
    I have been going over the system for hours, looking at elect drawings, probing each wire with 12v tester and have not figured it out. I realize I don't know alot about the electrical system but with all the time I have spent I thought, maybe by accident, I could figure it out. NOT!
    I think my problem might be I have a 9pin harness on truck side (96 Dodge 1500) and a 12 pin plow side harness. The truck side is a 62526 harness. It has 2 relays.
    Looking at the different prints from the Western site. it looks like the wire color codes on the plow site are for a 3 wire, 12 pin harness.
    The plow works fine and so do the turnsignals. But that is all.
    I got the mount from one place, the truck side harness another, and the plow somewhere else so I don't know for sure if I got the right stuff.
    I am hoping there might be a simple way to add a couple wires hat will allow me to use what I have rather then buying another harness.
    I know the plow lights are good cause I ran a hot wite and Neg over to them to test them.
    I replaced the 2 relays.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Frustrated:dizzy:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The 12 pin plow side and 9 pin truck side are not directly compatible. On the 12 pin the low beam power and common wires are all independent (hence the extra 3 pins needed in the grill connector) unlike a 9 pin where the highs are paired together, the lows are paired together and thus share a grill pin.

The best way to address it is to exchange the 12 pin harness for a 9 pin. Or the tougher route is to cut into the 12 pin harness and pair up the needed wires to share specific pins and ground the common wire on the plow itself...just as the 9 pin does. If you have the diagrams compare the 9 and 12 pin diagrams and it should be rather clear on what needs done.

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe I can assist a little if you don't mind. Below is a pic of how the wire should look and be either flip or routed to the pass side plow light..

Diagram Left side is the 12pin harness. Right side is the 9pin harness. You can see what pins are missing on the 9pin harness ( #'s 7,8, and 12). Bottom of the pic is diagram of the plug and how the numbers run. What I done is not very hard.

Diagram

9pinlight.jpg

Here what I came up with..At one point you have to make a decision to cut into the harness, or just run a single wire to the pass side plow light.. Cutting the Blk/wht wire (driver side) using a butt connector attaching a wire and running it over to the pass side plow light and tapping into the black wire.

Plow lights

Left side headlight (driver side)
    (high beam) remove the Lt blu/orn and
    wht wire. Take the wht wire and put it were the Lt blu/orn
    was. Put the Lt blu/orn were the wht was (flip them around)
    Cut the Lt blu/orn wire and splice it into the blk/orange wire
    That is attach to the parking lights (this is the ground wire)

Do the same thing to the “right side (pass side) headlight” Flip
    the wht and Dk blu/orn wires around. Cut and splice the Dk blu/orn
    to the Blk/orange wire.

Left side (low beam, here comes the tricky part) You have a choice to cut the
    harness (plow side) or just run a single wire by cutting and butt
    connect the “blk/wht wire (low beam)to a new wire over to the pass
    side plow light and tapping into black wire (low beam)

Let me know if you run into a problem..I printed out the wire schematics and that what I came up with..

9pinlight.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  4. phuloi68

phuloi68 Junior Member

Don't mind at all. This has had my simple mind all screwed up and ANY help is greatly appreciated.
    From just glancing at this it looks pretty easy to do. I will look at it later today or early tomorrow.
    Thanks alot.
    :salute:

5. twinman326

Just let us know how u made out

6. phuloi68

phuloi68 Junior Member

Tried to hook up as per dwg and still have no plow lights. I went over and over this and it's not doing anything different. I figure I will try again tomorrow. I can be missing something due to my frustration and a severe sinus infection. Amazing how much crude the human head can make................

7. twinman326

On the right side of the drawing (post #3) is the 9pin wiring for the lights..

Make sure the lt blue/orn and the dk blue/orn are tap (splice) into the black/orange (ground) wire and ground to the plow frame (which should be there).

On the relays, there should be a "brown" wire that comes off the truck parking light, check that wire at the relays. Also check the relays for any corrosion on the wires..

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  8. twinman326

9. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

" Can 9pin harness be connected to 12pin? "

I so wanted to give a smart azz response like: Does a square block go in the round hole?
    I give you guys credit for dealing with rat nest light wiring harnesses. I just go the old school easy route and wire my plow lights to a switch. I got dizzy just trying to follow that diagram. Good luck with it.

10. twinman326

Yes a 9pin will connect to a 12pin female The different is there more wires in a 12pin and three less wires in a 9pin...

It is not as hard as you make it out to be...

It phulo choice....He can buy a 12pin harness. Or maybe he doesn't have the cash to spend and would like to modified the harness..

There is people out there that are not rich....

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  11. phuloi68

phuloi68 Junior Member

You are definately not talking to someone here that's rich. Retired and on a fixed income.
    Would love to be able to go by the 9 pin 61438 plow side harness but splicing a few wires I can do.

Anyway, I will take a better look at it tomorrow. Not feeling good, I gave up pretty easy today.
    I know the truck headlights work. I took jumpers from the battery to the plow lights just to make sure they were good and they are.
    got to be something simple I am overlooking.
    More chicken noodle soup and a good nights sleeping (hopefully) and I will make it work tomorrow.
    Thanks for the help.

12. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Keep us posted. We want and love to see success stories!:nod:
    I am definitely not on the rich list either. LOL

13. phuloi68

phuloi68 Junior Member

no success story yet. Been out there for about 3 hrs tracing and checking wires over and over. Can't get it to work right yet.
    Truck headlights work. truck and plow turn signals work. that's all.
    Plow lights are good. checked them with jumpers.
    I know I can hook them up with a seperate switch. But the problem now is me.....
    I have spent so much time and frustration it's become MAN AGAINST MACHINE.:realmad:
    I really have a problem when I can't figure out something that is relatively simple.
    I mean, I am no rocket scientist or anything, but this ain't going to Pluto or anything like that. It"s simple wiring.:cry:
    I won't give up.:gunsfiring:

14. twinman326

well you can try it B&B way (post #2)

All the info you need is in post # 3

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I hope you at least and at the very beginning verified the relays where being switched by the marker light input wire. Because if they aren't, everything else you're doing it in vein.

16. twinman326

Post #8 shows the relays and how the wires are setup.

17. phuloi68

phuloi68 Junior Member

Relays are new.
    Low beam relay has power at 30(yellow) and 87a. nothing else shows power when on.
    no power to hi relay.

Hi beam relay has power at 30(Green) and 87a. Nothing else shows power when on.
    no power to low relay.

plow turn signals work. have power from truck harness to headlights.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you don't have power on the brown #86 wire from the trucks parking lights the relays won't switch to the plow lamps regardless of what you do, because it's that wires input that switches them. So you have to address that before you do anything.

19. phuloi68

phuloi68 Junior Member

I will check it out tomorrow. I am wondering if I got the turn signal and park lights reversed and if that is my problem.

20. twinman326

U might have to check the brown wire (driver side) to see if there a bad connection, or a broken wire..