1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Camoplast SD CTL Tracks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MotoK, Nov 29, 2014.

1. MotoK

MotoK Junior Member

I want to report how well the new Camoplast SD track is. I was looking all over the internet before the purchase and could not find any contractor feedback. So I think this will be helpful to some.

We have about 30 hours and 4 snow events on them and they are great! Far superior to the Bridgestone Polar Tread I ran last year. We have them on a 299D and the thing is a beast even on ice. Run a 9' Kage or 10' bucket.

Last year the Polar Tread did have 300 hours on dirt before the snow hit, so that may have contributed to the lower traction. (which was OK, but not great). These Camoplasts are brand new. Maybe the traction will deteriorate after a 100 hours. It will push much more than a wheeled machine. Turns quick and does start/stop very well.

I also have a 287D and 257D which are MTL undercarriage and work just as awesome for winter use. But what I am finding out as an owner is that during summer my operators are more likely to tear up undercarriage on the 7's than the 9's. So it is a trade off. Up until now I am always worried about getting production out of a CTL or 9 series in snow. But now I am sold on 9 series for snow work. We run standard Cat C-pad tracks in Dirt season and will now just switch over to Camoplast SD for winter. It takes 2 guys 1.5 hours to switch the tracks.

So Cat guys- my comments are MTL are great year-round machines but undercarriage are weaker. Especially if employees run them and love to do 180 turns and fill the tracks with junk. Our 9 series CTL are more 'employee friendly' and are tougher for dirt season. Now in winter (with Sd tracks) I would say about 90% as effective as a MTL. So I am please with this purchase.

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

We came up with a simple solution with the mtl machines and operators...If you're doing donuts on dry pavement with one you're fired. I'm not spending 2 grand on undercarriage parts for guys to be stupid. Good to hear about the ctl machine though. We've been thinking about one but they're awfully expensive so possibly another mtl in the future. How did the original tracks on the 9 series do in the snow? I'd imagine they aren't very good due to the block pattern