1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cameras

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elite1msmith, Oct 6, 2010.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

anyone of try this or use a device similar?

i have not looked into all the specs, but this could be a pretty neat tell tail tool, see if your drivers are messing around with the trucks, awake, alert of their jobs, might make a good case for a customer for snow depth arguments, accidents, possibly a location history

http://lorexstore.lorextechnology.com/product.aspx?id=2118

2. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

so ur trying this whole snowplowing thing again?

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Elite, we went to mobile cameras last season and it squashed all the "you were never hear" comments. It has real time and date recording. Its also great for keeping and eye on your guys and it has voice recording as well. We paid around 300 bucks for our cameras (each) but money well spent! If your interested I can dig up our receipt.

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

lol never got out of it, just scaled way back last year after the trip to the desert

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

did you ever use it to avaluate soem of yoru guys preformance or to tell if it seemed like they were driving in an unsafe manor. im torn between gps units at the moment, so we will see what comes if that

i found this, while online looking for home securtiy system, what type do you guys use?

6. Brian Young

Yes and ours has built in gps. I can track how long it takes, how long they took to fill up at a gas station, how many times they "F" bomb me etc. It gives you, GPS locations with matching time and vehicle speed. Its an awesome set up plus its only about 3-4 inches long and about 2 inches wide and about 3/4 inch thick. I was going to become a distributor but then we got busy plowing, then before you knew it it was spring time. It all records on a sd card and downloadable right to your computer.

7. elite1msmith

from chicago

did u sue this unit , or another?

also if im reading correctly on this unit, i can get another camera? like a back up camera, and a display for the driver to see, tie it all in together....?

really for the $300 bucks, it seems like a great idea, at least enough to try it

8. Brian Young

???? The company was (I think) Buswrecks and yes, they had a few different types.

9. elite1msmith

from chicago

hmmm, google couldnt find them

10. Brian Young

I'll look for our receipt tomorrow and pm you with the name.

11. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Send it to me also plz.

12. elite1msmith

from chicago

id like to know more on the recording lenths. i assume that you can not veiw/record an entire night, but if you wanted to record a few mins of every property how you would go about it

13. Neige

Neige Sponsor

keep in the loop also.

14. Neige

Neige Sponsor

It shows 8 hrs or recording time witha 4 GB card it supports 32 GB. Thats 64 hrs or recording.

15. Brian Young

We have recorded an entire night with room to spare. It all depends on the size of sd card you get. The only bad thing is they need to be removed after plowing, apparently they dont like the cold. I left mine hooked up after plowing and something went haywire, I sent it back in under warranty and they replaced what needed fixed and the rest of the year they were fine. Still looking,lol I had to get a bunch of fall clean up equipment ready.

16. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Good grief, i wouldn't want to be the one to sift through 64 hours of some ****** driving a plow truck! Just some of the short clips on Youtube are enough to make me crazy...:dizzy:

17. Brian Young

Right! The first ten minutes were cool I guess, but after that it was very boring! I think I counted around 8 people running red lights the first night,lol. Its also good for, God forbid any truck was in an accident. Our biggest reason for getting them is the old "you were never there" complaints. Like I said before it squashed them instantly.

18. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Really good idea. Bit pricey though. I might check it out next season.

19. CHasselberger

CHasselberger Member

take a look at drivecam.com also. they are used on lots of fire apparatus.

20. elite1msmith

from chicago

I think if you go to that extent, your micro managing your people. However, I could see it be useful for training new drivers, or checking up on new drivers, or if you had a lot that took extra time...you could verify that it wasn't because they guy was sleeping,

Actually from the "you were never here" stand point, it might only take one time to prove to a customer....and that unit pays for itself