1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cameras to check lots from home/office

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tilawn, Aug 17, 2016.

1. tilawn

tilawn Member

I am trying to research and see if anyone else uses solar powered cameras that are cellular compatible for visually checking their clients properties from the comfort of their home or office? I'm thinking I could save alot of money in labor and fuel (and gain some sleep) from having to run around checking things and also would be a backup proof of service to clients as well as slip and fall claims. Do any of you use cameras and if so what kind and how expensive are they initially and monthly?

Bossman 92 likes this.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Solar power is going to be how strong to transmit? How are going to be able to transmit?
    How long is the battery life?
    Is it going to give indications as to ground temperature?

3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I so badly want one of the GPS controlled drones for this. Program a route to check sites, and sit at home or in my office and watch the camera. Only thing I can't do with it is know pavement temperatures, and we've got a fairly substantial elevation difference in town.

4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I know they make trail cams that can be accessed via cellular service. I think they're more for short distance photographs though (50 ft or shorter) and wouldn't give you the wide clear shot you'd want.

ScubaSteve728 likes this.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Mount a IR temp gun in view of the cam

6. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare Senior Member

I have a couple 24 hr gas stations that cameras, I've thought about asking if there is a way that I could use there cameras to monitor the parking lots.

7. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

monitoring for site conditions or equipment storage or both? site conditions are hard to pinpoint with just a camera, the slickness doesnt' show up well :p knowing if snow fell at a particular site or not overnight would be nice though, but man thats a lot of cameras!

8. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Here's what I am doing. In my town we get a lot of snow but the way the mountains are situated and kind of split the city we can get 6" or more of snow on one side of town before we start accumulating on the other. It just so happens that I live on the exact opposite side of town as my folks. So I set up a camera at their house that I can view from my phone or iPad. I have a marker with inch increments on it that I can see as well as it looks past the marker to the street so I can if snow is sticking on the roads yet. It lets me know if I need to head out when we may have no accumulation over here. That being said obviously it does nothing to monitor your lots conditions after the storm has passed but it helps save me from heading out just to check if snow is accumulating on the other side of town. The DOT cameras here are useless once it starts snowing you can't see anything as they are wide out in the open and not shielded.

9. Aerospace Eng

Aerospace Eng Senior Member

Slight hijack (and sorry to be a Debbie Downer, as my son would say)...
    Although the rules changed last month and it is now considerably easier to operate a drone (no aircraft pilot's license needed, no FAA 333 waiver), there are still a lot of rules. Break them and you could find yourself like the guy in NYC who was fined 1.9 million for taking pictures without a waiver.

www.knowbeforeyoufly.org has information on rules, procedures, getting licensed, and apps for various smartphones to check airspace for restrictions.

To mimic a common theme in threads on this site... insurance. Most commercial policies exclude drone operations unless specifically purchased. The company I work for at my day job was quoted $3.5K per year for the first drone for commercial operations.

Also, drones must be operated line of sight -- you must be able to see them with your Mark I, Mod 0 eyeball at all times. It used to be that you could not do this from a moving vehicle, but I have heard that may have changed (I have not researched it specifically)

You still need a license (and an FAA medical) if operating a drone in a commercial enterprise, which you can do online if you already have a pilot's license.

You can't fly more than 400 feet AGL or within 5 miles of an airport or heliport (i.e. hospitals). There are a lot of airports that people don't know about (on farms, etc.). For example, there are 7 airports within about 10 miles of the center of Wooster, OH. You need to get permission from the airport/heliport operator before flying a drone. There are other restricted areas as well.

There are weather restrictions on drone flight (visibility, etc.)

Most quad- to octo- copter type drones fly for about 15 minutes before needing a battery change.

Anyway, it's not simple even if it sounds attractive.

End Hijack....

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sweet...........we're back to www.writeabooksite.com

Won't work for lake effect areas. Unless you have a camera at every account.

SnoFarmer likes this.
  11. Aerospace Eng

Aerospace Eng Senior Member

Wasn't that readabooksite?

This was just an essay...

SnoFarmer likes this.