1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cam upgrade

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Alright I am going to take the plunge soon on a new cam for the truck. Everyone has said it is a pain, but this wont be my first cam job. First on a LS based motor, but done a few on 350's. Im not sure of the stock size, but it is decent. Problem is all the cams I am finding are for street/strip and nothing for towing. I want good low end power and good drive ability. Dont want to hog down my mileage too bad either, lol. I will be doing new lifters, pushrods and probably roller rockers with the swap, and possibly new valve springs too if necessary. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know. I kinda want to get it in and done before it gets too crappy outside. The tuning wont be an issue since I can get a free re-tune on the truck.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thinking about it again Tom? :D

A very wise cam choice for your applications is GM's own GMPP Hot Cam. Aggressive but not overly aggressive for a daily driven truck application. Will still provide respectable MPG's too. Specs on the hot cam are:

218/227 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
    0.525" / 0.525" int/exh lift
    112 LSA

For comparison sake your stock cam is:

207/196 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
    0.479" / 0.467" int/exh lift
    116 LSA

You can see it's a sizable upgrade but not excessive. The extra lift and tighter LSA will really bring it on strong in the mid-range (3-5K). Will take some tuning to get it spot on but you already have that covered.

Don't bother with aftermarket rockers. The stock rockers on an LS engine are roller on the fulcrums anyway and adding a roller on the tip will do little except lighten your wallet for 4 bills. payup Spend the money on a set of full length headers instead if you want your money to reward you with additional power.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Yeah I am gonna do the cam. Been wanting to do one for a while, and finally got the $$$ saved away for it. Plus then I will have all nice new intake gaskets which I guess kinda suck on these things. And my friend has the alignment tool I need for it.

I will pass on the rockers and lifters then. Didnt know they were rollers already. That is a respectable upgrade for sure. I dont want it too crazy, just for a lil more oomph and the nice sound, lol. I may do a shift kit come spring so I can have all the TM removed to feel the full potential of the truck.

I saw a nice set of dynatech full tube headers with down pipes and cats for 650 at Summit. I can go with no cats for 450. I dont have to get emissions checked, so I may ditch the cats, just keep my originals just in case ever sell the truck.

I just looked at the specs on my stock cam in the Blazer, they are pretty piss poor compared to the LS. The cam in my truck stock would be a huge upgrade for the 350

4. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

I would think if you did the cam you would have to do the lifter also, B&B????

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Stock lifters are fine and will take a very sizable camshaft change or extreme RPM's before becoming a durability issue. They're quite good to say the least. :nod:

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Im starting to like the LS engines more and more. It seems to be easier to get more HP out of them than the older LT1/4 and regular 350s. And you can re-use some of the parts. Someone at GM must have had his head out of his butt for a little bit to design them.

One question. How far can I go with giddy up stuff before the fuel pump becomes an issue?? Mine is new, but dont want to over tax it and throw 400 bucks down the toilet. And what about the stock ignition coils?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They really are a sweet engine. The old reliable Gen1's and Gen 2's were great for their day...but can't hold a candle to the current generation stuff. You can do so much more with so little these days. 500HP is a piece of cake with todays engines.

Fuel pump isn't even an issue. No matter what you do you won't be working the pump any harder than any other time the truck is running, as the pump runs wide open all the time anyway. It's when guys begin to crank the fuel pressure up is when you're actually placing more load on the pump. Otherwise it's not even an issue.

8. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

I am following this very close, This might just be the ticket for me also. Custom tune and cam change. So this can be all done just by buying the cam from GM and gaskets etc.. and a custom tune? Do you have the part number for the GMPP cam?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct Chis, just need the tune to go along with the cam kit to make it really shine which I know you had in the planning stages anyway. The cam kit is p/n 12480033 which includes the cam and also the outstanding LS6 beehive valve springs and retainers too. For under $500 it's a tough kit to beat. Just need some gaskets to cover the install and you're good to go.

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

500 hp would be nice, lol. But Im not looking to go that crazy. 500+tq though would be more my ticket. Guess I could have shopped around better and found an HD with the 8.1 in it.

Im glad that I have no issue with the fuel pump at all. I see no reason at all to crank the fuel pressure up. Has no fuel starvation issues at all even under extremely hard acceleration.

I thought about this cam, Comp Cam Thumpr hydraulic roller. The specs are .553int/.536exh lift, .275int/.290exh duration and 109 degrees lobe separation. That seems a bit crazy, but it is not too huge. Says it has excellent street-ability with the lovely bumpy idle that I enjoy. But then again, my plow customers may not appreciate a drag car sounding truck plowing the drive, LOL:D I think your recommendation B&B is much safer to go with. Plus the beehive springs are a very nice upgrade for any older LS engine.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nice try Tom but the Thumper is too aggressive for a truck with the stock converter. And a stall converter in a plow trucks isn't the greatest idea. :D

12. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Yeah I kinda forgot about the whole torque converter thing, lol.

I figured put a real big lift cam in, LS6 intake, L92 heads, 175 shot nitrous, 3600 stall converter, and a supercharger for a plow truck. Doesnt that sound like a great combo???:D:D

13. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

But what about the BEER money :p

14. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

try this COMP CAMS RV CAM rpms IDLE to 4,500 rpms

HI ALL tryed test aok good to go...comp cam RV CAM 350 chev rpms rangle idle to 4,500 Nice low end torghe increase. good mid range More torge equall less down shifting.= more fuel econony..comp cam has a Free 800 # tech help line 9am to 5 pm...other other ok im runnin a 2200 stall converter in a plow rig..with a 205 tranfercase with off road design twin stick shifter front wheel drive ONLY capabilities hi or low range or 4x4 if need be..NEXT...

15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

That would be a good cam for the 350. Not for the LS1 engine. LS series engines dont have distributors at all on them and have a bigger cam stock than the 350. Plus it has a much higher rpm range than the 350.