1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cam upgrade?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2COR517, Mar 20, 2010.

?

What's the best cam duration for a plow truck?

1. 282 degrees

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 290 degrees

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. 304 degrees

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Thinking about upgrading the cam in my plow truck. It has a Chevy 350. Looking for a little more power.

:mechanic:

Can't decide on a good duration. I know longer duration means more power. Any comments welcome.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The advertised numbers don't mean a thing. Look at the duration at .050. Keep the intake around 200-204 at .050, with a 112-114 degree lobe separation.

What year engine? Flat tappet hydraulic, or hydraulic roller?

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Where is the none of the above for your poll? What cubicinches said more info would be good. I know of a cam to make a small block pull like a diesel:nod: But like a diesel it's all over around 3500rpm

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Thats the one to get for plowing.

5. cubicinches

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

GMPP makes some nice cams for the tbi and vortec 350's. Most come idle to like 5250 rpms which is what you want. Summit Racing has them

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You know he's going to ask, does it add "Diesel-ness"? :laughing:

8. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

:mechanic::laughing::laughing:

9. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Subscribing just to see where you go.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

127 views, 8 replies. NO VOTES! I don't know what to do. I am, however, very interested in this cam that makes my truck feel like a diesel. Will I have to plug the truck in at night if I put that cam in?

I could start a new thread. Pics of gas trucks with diesel cams.....

11. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

:laughing::laughing: 2cor you're too funny.

12. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

517 You must be bored stiff .......................... and if you are thinking of a cam you certainly made alot more this winter than we did!!!!! I am putting my spare money into an outboard motor to heck with the plowtruck!

13. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Those durations are enormous!!! Your valvetrain, and torque converter would not even begin to handle that kind of duration. Guys over on the LS site Im on have 228 cams and they have to throw a stalled converter in there. You for sure dont want that on a plow truck. Im not sure of the duration stock, but it isnt no where near that. My LQ4 6.0 only has a 191 duration intake/exhaust and makes plenty of power. 210-213 is about it with the stock trans/torque converter. I wouldnt go over .480-.510 lift at .50 either. But if your truck is the 95 newer Vortec 350 then I would highly suggest a custom tune first. That will open you up quite a good bit and you may not even want to upgrade the cam then

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What's a "stalled converter"?

15. cubicinches

At .50 what?

16. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I meant .050 inch lift
    Stall speed --- the rpm that a given torque converter (impeller) has to spin in order for it to overcome a given amount of load and begin moving the turbine. When referring to "how much stall will I get from this torque converter", it means how fast (rpm) must the torque converter spin to generate enough fluid force on the turbine to overcome the resting inertia of the vehicle at wide open throttle. Load originates from two places (1) From the torque imparted on the torque converter by the engine via the crankshaft. (This load varies over rpm, i.e. torque curve, and is directly affected by atmosphere, fuel and engine conditions.) (2) From inertia, the resistance of the vehicle to acceleration, which places a load on the torque converter through the drive train. This can be thought of as how difficult the drive train is to rotate with the vehicle at rest, and is affected by car weight, amount of gear reduction and tire size, ability of tire to stay adhered to ground and stiffness of chassis ( this is from tci auto's web site.....I dont have this memorized, lol)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So is my current converter not "stalled"

How do I have .480" lift at .050" lift? Which is it?

18. Sydenstricker Landscaping

The .050 is the lift at the valve I believe and the .480 would be the lift on the cam lobe itself.

No your current converter is not stalled. When you hit the gas, the truck takes right off. With a stalled converter, pending stall rpms, would hold you stationary until the rpm speed is met for all the parts to spin and lock up. Meaning of you had a 2500 rpm stall converter, the engine would need to be at 2500 rpms before everything would hook up and go.

And if I am wrong on any of this, then I stand corrected and apologize in advance for any incorrect information.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So the cam lift is .480 and the valve only moves .050? Where does all that travel go? Must be absorbed by the hydraulic lifter?

And my truck idle at 700 or so. When I take my foot off the brake it doesn't launch immediately. Sometimes I have to get it up to 1200 or 1500 to move if I'm on a hill or hauling a big trailer. I'm still confused :dizzy:

20. cubicinches

Ick! That doesn't sound good...