1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cam shaft sensor on 95psd

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Plow Meister, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone had any experience replacing the cam shaft sensor on a 95 psd? I have gone through two of them and now need another one. I don't want to pay Ford a fat chunk to do it.

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Powmiester, I have yet to have the "pleasure" of doing a CPS but I have read a lot about installing one at FD.COM. Do a search over there. From what I 've read its not that hard and you should buy it at International not FORD! Big price difference from what I've read, International's part # is 1821720099.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Never did it myself. On my 95 F350 it was one of the things that continued to fail though. Ford ended up taking the truck back after an International Service Tech came to the dealer and tested the motor. Had bad compression. Not sure exactly how the CPS or other things failing was related but if you are having other problems and the CPS fixes it temporarily then it may be a sign of other problems.

My Ford was relatively new not sure what you may have to go through now.

4. Plow Meister

JD Plower

By fd.com I assume you mean forddiesel.com. I went there but found no way to actually do a "search". Little help?

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

It sounds like you found the site, it's actually ford-diesel , you may have to register to do a search. There's a bunch of threads on the CPS, from what I've read it takes about ten minutes and a single wrench to replace. Apparently it can cause all kinds of wierd stuff to happen to your motor. Good luck!

6. Plow Meister

Actually, I should probably expound on my problem in hopes of someone telling me I am on the right track...

1. The tcc (torque converter clutch) engages in third but not in fourth.

2. Every once in a while usually when decellerating from high speed the OD light on the turn signal indicator flashes resulting in extremely HARD downshifts and upshifts. I have to shut the engine off then restart to temporarily correct the problem.

3. I took the truck to my favorite trans shop and they hooked the computer up to it and said the torque converter was bad ($600.00) and the camshaft sensor was bad ($400.00) also. They have little experience with diesels.

I figure since the cam shaft sensor went out twice already, I might want to replace it before the torque converter in the hopes that it is somehow sending goofy signals to the computer causing the tcc to act wildly. However, having 180,000 miles on the engine/trans, it may be time for a torque converter as well. Any thoughts??

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I would tend to agree with your ourse of action. With that many miles if either part was bad it would not surprise me. However if you have continuing problems then I would suggest taking it to an international service center instead.

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I think you will find that if both problems exist, they will be independant of each other, just from what I've read on the other site. Throw the question out there, there are a lot of Ford mechanics and Diesel mechanics who belong to the site and are always willing to help.

Let us know how you make out. 180,000 miles on your tranny is encouraging info for me, hope mine lasts as long.

9. intimidator

intimidator Member

I think you have 2 seperate problems. The cam sensor is a piece of cake to install, remove holdown bolt, twist and tug a little on the sensor and out she comes (it is a little easier with the belt off) For some reason, this is a fairly common problem for the PSD. As for the trans. problem, it sounds to me like it might be the solenoid pack on the valve body in the trans., it actually controls torque conv. lock up. If the torque converter is bad, (chattering on lock up, slipping etc.), it could amplify the problem even more. By the way, $400 seems a little steep for the sensor, unless they're charging $100 an hour for labor.
    Hope this helps.

Jason

2 days til Daytona

10. Plow Meister

Intimidator,

I agree it does appear to be two entirely different problems. And the sensor replacement does seem a bit high. The sensor alone from Ford is about $250.00 plus 2 hrs of labor at $85.00/hr. I read some posts on ford-diesel.com and they said there are "clearances" to be measured when reinstalling the sensor and it could also possibly require shims. Since I know little to nothing about diesels I figured I should just leave it up to the pro's. Now I THINK I can handle it myself. I also read that if I wee to get the part from Int'l instead of Ford it would cost a lot less. I am going to pursue it further with Int'l and Ford tomorrow.

Otherwise, how does the $600.00 sound for the tc replacement? You mentioned something about solenoids in the valve body. Perhaps that could be the problem? Or, at 180,000 miles, is it time for a new tc anyway? This trans shop did mention they were very familliar with this trans but not with the diesel applications. They showed a code that the lockup was occuring in third gear. I don't think this is normal but I never really paid attention before. Plus, I do nkow it was not locking in fourth at all. Sounds to me like a computer problem but what do I know. That is why I come to all of you for help:D

11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I just realized we're talking about a '95, not a Super Duty. Consider yourself extremely lucky to have gotten that milage from your tranny. Most I know would be on their third or fourth by this time. I lost one on a '94 three days over warranty with 33,000 miles on it. Drop your pan and see if there are any chunks in the oil, or if the oil stinks, that will tell you what's up.

BTW, still have the axle.

12. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Never had a problem with one. That is excellent mileage though. With a temperature guage extra cooler and moderation those transmissions will last a long time.

13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

After I lost my tranny, I started asking around about them, my Ford parts man told me they frequently fail. I was working across from a Verizon shop on one job where they had a number of F-350 bucket trucks and the mechanic told me most of the trucks were on their second or third tranny. The transmission shop I use had the same story. If you surf Ford-diesel on the 94-97 section you'll find numerous complaints about it. If yours hasn't failed, I think you're in a minority.

When I got my truck back with the new one, I sold it and got a 5 speed.

14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I guess I am. Maybe my guys are easy on it LOL. I like the manual in my pickup a lot more. I know there have been problems, but I think it is often because people do not pay attention to the temp.

15. Plow Meister

I ordered the new cam sensor from International (cheaper than Ford). It will be here this evening. I am still crossing my fingers that replacing it will somehow fix my tranny problems.

Now I have to ask myself this question... If this doesn't solve the problem completely and a new tc is inevitable, since the tranny will already be out and I am already going to have to pay $600.00 for the tc, do I go ahead and spend the extra dough and have the whole tranny looked over inside and out? Is it worth the couple extra bucks or is there not much else that can go wrong on the inside? Hmmmm. Input please????:confused:

16. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Have it rebuilt while it is out!

17. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I agree! If you're interested, there's a shop down south that can reportedly make these trannies bulletproof. It's called Brian's tranmissions, I'll get you the web address if you like.

18. Plow Meister

Yes, please. Get me the address. I would really appreciate it. It will probably be a couple months before I can get it done but when I do I want it to be done right. Plus, I LOVE the word "bulletproof".

19. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

20. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran