1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cam Selection

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TravisA, Jul 30, 2003.

1. TravisA

TravisA Junior Member

Anyone have any suggestion on a cam for my truck. Its an 85 C-20 with the TH400 tranny and 4.10 gearing. I'll be adding full length headers and a new intake also.

The truck will be a daily driver and used to haul my car to the race track occasionaly.

Also any suggestions on an intake would be helpful also. I was looking at the edelbrock performer intake part #EDL-2101 at summitracing.com.

Thanks for any help
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You'll want a low rise dual plane intake.The Edelbrock Performer is OK.

Since you don't have an overdrive,and a faily low gear,you can get away with a bit bigger cam,and put it in straight up.Any good RV cam,with lots of bottom end torque should work well.Going with a slightly higher ratio roller rocker will help power,without affecting drivability.

Probably something in the .410-.430 gross lift,260 degree duration would work well.Anything bigger will be lousy for towing.

A smaller carb (6-650 cfm),and exhaust (2 -2 1/4") will help the torque for towing,and improve fuel economy.Will keep it reasonably quiet too.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I agree with Wyldman, this is assuming you have a 350 cu in. If you have a 400,you can get a way with a cam with just a tad more lift/ duration,and if you have a 305,you want to stay on the low side of the cam specs wyldman posted.
  4. reallyrusty

reallyrusty Member

You might want to save the money for the headers and go with a good dual exhaust on the manifolds. Headers will shift you torque curve up in the rpm band and take it away in the bottom where it sounds like you want it for pulling. just a thought.
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

A good set of small primary tube headers,with long collectors (or larger exhaust pipes bolted to collectors),will boost bottom end torque.You can tune them by lengthening the tube,and increasing the size,coming off the collector.Usually a 3" X 36" pipe off each collector is enough,and then connect them using an "H" pipe or crossover.After that,step down to 2 1/4" through the mufflers,and 2" tails.If you want the big exhaust look,you can add some larger diameter tips.If you go too big on the tailpipes it will lose bottom end also.

Tip - If you make an H-pipe or crossover,use bolt on flanges,so it can be easily removed if you need to drop the trans.You can then leave the duals bolted up,and just swing them out to either side.
  6. TravisA

TravisA Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. :)

Currently the exhaust setup consists of 2 1/4" pipe coming off of the manifold to a Y. It then proceeds to a flowmaster muffler with single inlet dual oulet by way of a 2 1/2" pipe. Exiting the muffler it uses 2 1/2 pipes in route to the rear which is then finished off with 3" Tips.

This is the reason i was looking for a bolt in shorty header. This exhaust was installed right before i took ownership of the truck. Its around 4 months old.

So another question is how would this exhaust perform if i had the full length headers and then ran 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 pipe into a Y and used the rest of the existing setup?

Thanks again
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

That would still work OK.I'd make sure the pipes coming off the collector were at least 36" before they turn and come together to keep the low end torque up.The added restriction in the Y,and the single muffler would negate the effect of the large tailpipes.

Or,just keep the exhaust you have until it rusts out,then do the headers and duals.