1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Calling yourself out of good service...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowman5313, Mar 9, 2011.

1. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

For the most part I feel I give great service. But I do have a few seasonal accounts that feel that they need to not only manage the store but the parking lot also. They stock over night and feel that a salting is needed at 1 am when the store doesn't open till 8 am. At least this time it is 1am and not 10 pm when the store closes. That really pisses me off. I was planning to get up at 2am and get going on lot checkups but having some jerk call and want service just cheers me up.

Now I guess I am a liar now for this guy its just take the call, do the work and get my check when they feel like I earned one. As far as service I would say its ok because I an not going to camp on this lot all winter.

Sorry got to go my 2am alarm just went off. I need to go start my lot checkups.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Did you tell them you do lot checks at 2am?

3. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Plowing is a service industry.

You don't want to provide the customer the service when the they want it then tell them:

a. That you no longer want them as a customer because they require a level of service you don't want to provide

b. to go pound salt

c. don't answer the phone when they call. They will get the hint you don't want their business.

4. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

If there are employees coming in at 1am, I'd say it needs to be done by then. I don't know what the contract reads but if this 1am thing is new, and your contract says you'll be there at 2, then maybe you need to point that out to the owner. Afterall, he signed it.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ditto
    You sound like a guy that applied to plow for me.... He didn't like plowing at night because "night is for sleeping, and I like to sleep" he did NOT get the job:eek:

Plowing is a 24/7 job for 6 months.

enjoy it or get another job.
    JMO

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  6. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I can't believe someone doesn't plow at night because its for sleeping, too funny but it doesn't surprise me some people just don't have good work ethics needless to say you dodged a bullet with that guy

7. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

I had a buddy who was all gung-ho to help me plow when he was on Christmas break from college, said I made tons of money and he wanted to get in on that...until I told him to be at my shop at 3am...then he had no desire to make money :laughing:

8. NickT

NickT Senior Member

What's with the gigantic font mr magoo?

9. D&E

D&E Senior Member

Sleep is for people who don't want to make money.

10. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

When there's no work to do, I sleep in...because when the storm starts, I have no idea when I'll see my bed again. That's how I like it anyway. Who can sleep knowing there's all that money falling from the sky???

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Wait a minute. I'm lost. He's mad because they called or mad because he didn't want to go out?

Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
    Plowing is a service industry.

You don't want to provide the customer the service when the they want it then tell them:

a. That you no longer want them as a customer because they require a level of service you don't want to provide

b. to go pound salt

c. don't answer the phone when they call. They will get the hint you don't want their business.

Not sure what this comment had to do with the OP.

12. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I think this guy is just venting his frustration. It has been a long season and probably wanting it to end soon

13. Plow_Goddess

Plow_Goddess Junior Member

That's how I read it

14. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

I was mad that they called. It crap that a company that is closed for the night calls and wants service lets say salting at 2am at a beginning of a snow storm and then wants a plowing at 4 am during a storm, and then calls at 8 am when the storm opens. Its not that I don't want ot service them its just that it a waste of my time and I start losing control of other work because I am hiting a company over and over and my guys don't get anything done but that one job.

Besides its a seasonal acct. Its a set wage.

And yes I do want the season to end. I made my money and just want me time. That means I don't want weather to set my life.

15. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

Before anyone says the obvious, 90% of the time when I can move the guys from lot to lot like I planned when I took on the work, there are no problems, timing is great, and we are in and out in 5 hours.

16. snorider075

snorider075 Senior Member

cheers to that sir

17. blogsdon

blogsdon Member

Night time is the right time...I would rather plow at night than during the day. No traffic, no cars you can get around town in no time.

Once people start their commute it slows me down.

Brian

18. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

What does your contract say about timing, call-outs and visits (per time period)?

19. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

I sub out that lot. So when I get called out for any service I have an hour to show.

But as far as not wantig to plow and make money, if that was a per push contract I would be on that lot with a smile. I don't sleep when "moneys falling from the sky" but I have to make sure that I don't push guys out for hours on end.

This is my 11th year plowing, I know the true fun of the business. besides we average 40 inches of snow a year and so far we have about 70.

20. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

So why isn't the overnight covered in the contract? There are employees on the property during their stocking hours. I don't know about others, but I see liability with my accounts' employees just as much as their customers. In fact, an employee is going to cost the company just as much or more than a customer in short term & long term expenses. Plan for the overnight servicing in the coming years, and enjoy what's likely to be the end of a good season