Snow Plowing Forum banner

Calling Tractor Guys!

19K views 103 replies 25 participants last post by  hlntoiz 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I would like to hear some input from those on here that run tractors or skids. We run a landscaping company and plow in the winter. mainly mulch and soil work with hardscape installs.

Min. Requirements:
-4wd
-2000lb lift cap. on the FEL minimum!

what we would like to do, is use a loader and run a 10' pusher, and then run a blower in the back off the pto. I really like the pxpl's with their drag blade for our driveways. but i would also like the tractor to have a backhoe.

tractors considering:
kubota m59 tlb- i really like Cre's setup!
john deere 110- like the tlb package, but can it run a blower?? $$$$
kubota 7040- really cheap for a used one in good condition

what do you guys think? you can add other suggestions not limited to the ones on here. I really dont know much about tractors, pto's etc... shuttle transmissions, I have been running bobcats and mostly construction equip, not any AG equip at all.

See less See more
#27 ·
How about a provonvost regualar blower with the x- blade.... i've been looking into those, they say the small one can be run off a 50 hp tractor..... 46 isnt too far from that... I like this set-up cause you can use it on your commercials after they have been plowed with a truck for example...

#28 ·
Triple L;752078 said:
How about a provonvost regualar blower with the x- blade.... i've been looking into those, they say the small one can be run off a 50 hp tractor..... 46 isnt too far from that... I like this set-up cause you can use it on your commercials after they have been plowed with a truck for example...
The x-blade is not just a plain old blower with a pull back blade. Pronovost made it as a special purpose blower and they priced it accordingly. As for H.P., I know they list minimum ratings, belive me (or ask Paul) you want more than the base. I'd personally go with the upper end of the ratings.

#30 ·
musclecarboy;752395 said:
I definitely agree with this. I think its harder to be over-powered than under-powered. If you buy an underpowered tractor, it will haunt you everytime you use the thing.
I find that every time I acquire another peice of equipment Im always using it to its maximum, yah so now I make sure it can do the job and then some. Most dealers are not into commercial snowremoval and dont know what its like at the job site when y ou need all the horsepower you can get to airmail the snow of to the side

#31 ·
see, i completely agree with you guys about always buying a lil more power than you need. but since this is the largest tlb i can get, then i would have to get a larger, i.e. >75hp dedicated blower tractor and then a skidsteer for landscaping work. i was just trying to kill two birds with one stone.

im not set in stone about the pronovost blower. are there other models that would work better with an m59 sized tractor?

#32 ·
ProTouchGrounds;752637 said:
see, i completely agree with you guys about always buying a lil more power than you need. but since this is the largest tlb i can get, then i would have to get a larger, i.e. >75hp dedicated blower tractor and then a skidsteer for landscaping work. i was just trying to kill two birds with one stone.

im not set in stone about the pronovost blower. are there other models that would work better with an m59 sized tractor?
Me and you are in EXACTLY the same situation.... and i was just gonna say that about the 75> hp tractors........ Hopefully some more helpful people will be able to help us make up our minds lol....

#33 ·
Do you have another backhoe machine for the summer work? if not then the M59 is going to be a good buy with one problem, no factory cab... The deere 110 is not in the same league, the 7040 kubota would be a great machine but you will need the backhoe and that would not be as easy as the m59 quick attach. I have an L48 and have has 2 L35's, the backhoes come off in minutes, very nice..
Lauren or Curtiss... big differences in money.. are a couple of the cab options for the M59.
Kubota is a few years away from a cab if at all I am told..

#34 ·
ProTouchGrounds;751922 said:
thats pretty awesome! are there any videos with deep snow, like 6+ inches of accum. i just want to see how much slower you'd need to go. and our drives here are 2-3 times that length and most are 2.5 cars wide
6 inches will not affect the speed at all, the longer the driveway the better. I love circle drives, you never have to back up. As for wider drives, you just have to make more passes. We back up 2 times for a single, and 3 times for a double. For a 2.5 or 3 car wide add 1 or 2 more passes.

Ne1;752052 said:
What model New Holland is that? I would like to see one with a pusher box in action
Its a TS 100, I have an action shot but it part of a news story on our company. Remember these tractors can drive 42km, they get you around nicely.

ProTouchGrounds;752637 said:

I hear what you are saying, I am going to search for something we used to own. It was a MF back hoe, 85 HP. It was a real industrial tractor, where you could drop the back hoe and install a blower on a 3 point, and run a blower of its pto.

There are many companies that make blowers. Pronovost has the most experiance with the inversed, Normand is excellent, there is Couture, Ber-Vac just to name a few. I know there are guys running 50 HP tractors with inversed blowers, and have no problems. I personally think that 75 HP is minimum, and perfer 95 HP. Like JD once mentioned, Those are engine HP, PTO is around 10% less. If you look at Crets blower, it was made for his size tractor.

Tire Wheel Snow Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Snow Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

#38 ·
Its my first year running tractors, 65 hp, with inverted blowers, Meteors, for residentials. I love 'em.
I'll be buying more tractors before I get more plow trucks.
Around here guys have bigger and smaller units. Kubota 5740 with FEL and inverted blower works fine. A buddy of mine does 150 resi's every storm with one.
I've always been a bigger is better type of guy but a 95hp is way bigger than a 5740, resi's are usually size challenged. Match the blower to the tractor size and go make money.
IMO for the price of 1 large tractor you can get 2x 5740's or similar.

#39 ·
Kubota quality is tough to beat. Be sure to get enough HP and you will be all set. This is a 2008 Grand L 3540 with loaded factory cab and loader, 5000 # with weight box. This is a little light for your needs, perfect for ours.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#44 ·
Supersnow;753515 said:
How do those turf tires work in the snow for you? I have heard it both ways but never had a fair comparison from Ag to turf in snow. My dealer has hooked two like machines together and says the turf will pull the Ag tire tractor backwards on hard packed snow.
tymusic.Turf tires same as snow tires. excellent better than ag or industrial. I have a DX40 Case and a TC 30 New Holland both with turf tires. Dealer doesnt charge any extra for turf when you place your order.;:salute:

#46 ·
If you plan to use the R3's on turf, you are going to cause serious damage. Have you checked the weight of the 4740 cab model. The reason i did not exceed the 3540 is weight!

#47 ·
Id just like to thank you guys that have helped me and pro touch grounds out on this thread.... Yesterday i went and checked out the Kubota M59 and man is that thing ever impressive.... Defentially the machine i'll be buying.... only thing I didnt like is the 55K price tag... without a cab, but when you compare this machine to say a NH 170 skid-steer for around the same price + - 4-5K your getting sooooo much more....

btw pro touch the m59 weighs over 8000 lbs..... either witch way, you'll be putting some nice ruts in i'd think

#48 ·
Triple L;754287 said:
Defentially the machine i'll be buying.... only thing I didnt like is the 55K price tag... without a cab, but when you compare this machine to say a NH 170 skid-steer for around the same price + - 4-5K your getting sooooo much more....

btw pro touch the m59 weighs over 8000 lbs..... either witch way, you'll be putting some nice ruts in i'd think
I don't understand, around the same price? The LS170 is not even close to $55K. Just to be clear,I'm a tractor fan. For that price you could buy a used skiddy and mini X (in good condition). Either way, good luck with your choice.:drinkup:

#49 ·
Well prices are a whole lot different up here in canada.... I was speaking with Lynden-Jeff the other day and he was pricing out a whole bunch of machines... He said it was about 50K for one with deluxe cab, heat, and high flow.... meanwhile he could get a simular case with a 8'plow and 7' snow bucket for $42K.... and a bobcat S185 for around 37-38 so that NH price thru him out of wack.... and that didnt even include any attachments..... NH has crazy pricing up here i guess... sometimes this tymusic isn't soo good to us........................

#50 ·
I love my Kubota m59. Can actually use skid steer lo flo attachments on the front if plumbed properly - I have a harley rake, runs fine. Not as good as hi flo, but nice to have that and PTO. So you are getting skidsteer + tractor.

Found over 10k difference in pricing when I was looking - look around

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.